My Australian holiday - you asked for it !

Snatcher

1-28.jpg

2-25.jpg

Dorothy snapped this shot of one perched on my outstretched hand

5-20.jpg

Most enjoyable, mate.

The 1st red parrot is the king parrot alisterus escapularis

The 2nd is the crimson rosella platycerus elegans

The misguided budgie on your hand is the rainbow lorikeet trichoglossus molucanus, often called "blue mountain parrot", after the Blue Mountains, NSW.

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff Snatcher. I'm sure the boss is loving it, from his photo studio in the sky. It's a great way to thank him for everything he's done for this forum, so keep it coming.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

We arrived at Eden in the late afternoon.Our lodge was right next to the beach so as soon as the car was unpacked we went for a stroll.We had the whole beach to ourselves

1-30.jpg

I fancied a fishing session next morning so was up at sunrise and down onto the beach with my spinning rod. As I had no bait on went a 20g silver toby.After a few casts I noticed a sharks fin about 50/60 yds away and coming my way. As my shark got closer I realised it was a pod of dolphins patrolling the beach.What a sight they were,its simply wonderful when mother nature puts on a display for you like that

7-17.jpg

6-20.jpg

5-21.jpg

I returned to the lodge fishless but more than happy.Next off was the short drive to the Killer Whale Museum in Eden.Eden is really well named as it is a pretty little town. Now the Killer Whale Museum had been strongly recommended to me but I was a bit unsure what to expect. In the very first room was the skeleton of "Old Tom",the leader of the killer whale pack. The story is well worth reading and bounds on the realms of fantasy.You could not have wrote the script for this one !!! What do you think - fantastic or what??

Here is a link http://www.pleasetakemeto.com/australia/ne...ng/9058711/eden

2-26.jpg

3-24.jpg

4-20.jpg

From the museum we drove down to Eden harbour for a stroll around

8-15.jpg

10-10.jpg

Check out these guys fighting over a fish!!!

9-14.jpg

The next stage of our journey takes us to Cape Conran,Orbost and Lakes Entrance

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

We continued our jouney west towards Cape Conran,the next lodge I had booked for us.On the way I pulled up the car to let 3 emus cross the road.I did not realise how large they were.Its a shame we did not have one of the cameras at hand to take a shot!! What a job I had to find the place,I managed to get totally lost a few times..Eventually I found the correct "dirt track",there were about 12 lodges scattered around a rather creepy wood.It really was back to basics - check out the "dunny" (toilet)

1-32.jpg

The only heating was a log burning fire so it was a case of the old boy scout firelighting skills coming to the fore LOL.First I had to chop up some sticks though.Do not think Health and Safety would have approved it in this country - just one big axe stuck in the chopping block and no manual.I enjoyed it though

11-10.jpg

This was the inside of the lodge,it was strange having no telly,we just had to cope with a game of cards and excessive amounts of drink

3-26.jpg

Before retiring for bed I banked up the fire with what I thought was enough logs.Well when we woke in the morning the fire was out so that was my first job of the day - and I had to chop some more sticks up as well.It really was cold.

Just before we left this kookaburra flew onto the veranda for a nosy.He looked fairly tame so I slowly approached him with a piece of toast which he readily accepted. Check out what he was standing on - an animal identification plaque!!!

2-29.jpg

This leg of our journey really took us into the backwoods.I was taking my time with the driving as quite a few kangaroos were hopping over the road in front of us.We eventually reached the town of Orbost and had a stroll around. Check out the Tourist Information Office

12-9.jpg

These cutouts also took my fancy

4-22.jpg

After that it was a drive to Lakes Entrance.Here are the girls posing on the bridge

5-23.jpg

And here was the beach

7-19.jpg

It was still freezing in that bitter wind so we took shelter by the side of the lake and I took a few bird shots

6-22.jpg

This was the first black swan I had seen

8-17.jpg

We then drove out of the town and up to a viewing platform,the view really was stunning

10-12.jpg

9-16.jpg

The next part of the jouney finds us heading off to Melbourne via Wilsons Promenade and Phillip Island

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Just read the last three episodes :) at the same time, still makes great viewing. Thanks Snatcher. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

We had stayed overnight at a campsite in Toura and hit the road again at ten the next morning(thats when you get chucked out)

1-36.jpg

Our first port of call was going to be Wilsons Promontory.It is one of Victorias most spectacular National Parks and we were advised not to miss it out.We duly paid our park fees at the toll point and headed south towards the end of "The Prom" as Victorians call it.First stop was at one of its many beaches

2-30.jpg

It really was scorching hot and there was very little shade to sit under so we decided to have a stroll along the lovely white sands

There were plenty of these guys around which the women were not too keen on!

3-27.jpg

There were a number of surfers out amongst the waves.Tell you what,none of these beaches were netted/protected and it would not have been me.Great whites are known to frequent the area

4-23.jpg

It really was a lovely place and we drove to a few different view points

6-23.jpg

After touring "The Prom" we headed for Phillip island,our last port of call before Melbourne.

We drove through the small town of San Remo and then over the road bridge onto Phillip Island itself.We picked up a map at the local tourist information office and the map proved to be total pants!!! Eventually we parked up at the village of Rhyll and called into the local supermarket for provisions. After that we then got lost again trying to find a picnic site to have a snack at.Eventually we stumbled over a picnic site with a rather splendid view.

8-18.jpg

10-14.jpg

9-18.jpg

Now the world famous "Penguin Parade" happens nightly where hundreds of them waddle up the beach to their burrows.We had been warned that it was a right rip off and to avoid it.We took heed of the warning and time was getting on and I still had a fair way to drive to get to Melbourne and meet up and stay with my two cousins whom I had not seen for 40 years!! That is the next installment.

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Well I had no satnav in the car and the conurbation of Melbourne really is large.As a consequence I got lost. I done really well though and only lost it a about a mile away from where my cousin Les lived. After a quick phone call he came to get us and guide us back. My two cousins Les and Robert emmigrated 40 years ago and I had not seen them since.As luck would have it Robert who lives in Adelaide Hills was on a visit so I got to see them both together.It was quiite an emotional moment for us all. Check out the family - in this photo Les is in the blue shirt and Robert is in the white shirt

13-8.jpg

Les has 3 daughters and here they are from l to r Elizabeth,Rachel and Ester

14-7.jpg

This one is mint,Les and Ester

12-11.jpg

Les had kindly arranged for the three of us to stop there and before retiring to bed knocked back quite a few beers catching up on the family news.

Next morning Les and Roberts wife,Sue took us on a guided tour of Melbourne.This is the Winsor Hotel opened in 1883 and very grand it was too!

11-12.jpg

The city has a tram system and this is one of them

1-37.jpg

Next up Les took us to the Botanical Gardens.

2-31.jpg

Check out these "fairy trees"

3-28.jpg

4-24.jpg

Next off it was a look at Melbourne Cricket Stadium - from the outside anyway

5-25.jpg

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair