im a beginer fly angler

swanyboii

i am a novice fly angler i have never tounched a fly rod in my like but i live in the romford area and there is a little stream near be called the river ingubourne and i have seen trout and some chubb or barbel. i think i could cast a fly rod for sme reason ithink i could i have looked on alot of websites but thay are hardley anyy help.i wacth fihing on sky allday and i am a corse angler but i fancey a cahnge i know use fly angers are good at wat you do so dont b offendedby my novaceness lol...

living up here in God's own county of Lancashire I'm afraid I don't know your area so the advice I would give you is to have an ask round in your local tackle dealers especially the larger ones that clearly sell fly fishing tackle the people in there may well know someone local to you who can show you the ropes.

If you can afford it a couple of hours spent with a local instructor could pay huge dividends as apart from the instruction that you pay for these chaps know the local fishing and can best advise you on where to fish and indeed what tackle to buy. Obtaining such information is money well spent.

Hope this helps

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Hi Swanyboii and welcome to Anglers Net.

Like Alan I live in Lancashire and don't know your area or waters, but maybe I can try to help a little.

I think you will find the trout season is closed at the moment and will be till early spring sometime. So it might be a good idea to forget about them for a bit.

Ive only ever caught 3 barbel on the fly rod, but i don't know if they really count as 2 were foul hooked when salmon fishing. The other 1 was in summer and i fed red maggot and fished a fast sink line hard on the bottom with maggots on a hook (not what you would call fly fishing really).

The good news is i think you might have more luck with the chub as they feed more frequently then barbel in winter and they quit like a fly for dinner. Ive never really tried for them in winter with the fly, but i don't see why not. Dry fly can be good for chub in summer so that might be a good way to start as Ive seen them take things off the top even on the coldest days in winter.

Brian.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Hi Swanyboii and welcome to Anglers Net.

Like Alan I live in Lancashire and don't know your area or waters, but maybe I can try to help a little.

I think you will find the trout season is closed at the moment and will be till early spring sometime. So it might be a good idea to forget about them for a bit.

Ive only ever caught 3 barbel on the fly rod, but i don't know if they really count as 2 were foul hooked when salmon fishing. The other 1 was in summer and i fed red maggot and fished a fast sink line hard on the bottom with maggots on a hook (not what you would call fly fishing really).

The good news is i think you might have more luck with the chub as they feed more frequently then barbel in winter and they quit like a fly for dinner. Ive never really tried for them in winter with the fly, but i don't see why not. Dry fly can be good for chub in summer so that might be a good way to start as Ive seen them take things off the top even on the coldest days in winter.

Brian.

so if i got a cheap fly rod and reall and a book of flies like thisss>>>>http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/go-fishing-fly-combo-17715021/ ...... the go to the local strem (in london) ats where i live and have a couple of hours of a weeekend i could have a chance????also dry file would thay b better for the winter ??? thnks for all posts though

Swanyboii,

To echo Alan's sound advice, before you possibly waste money on a fly rod and reel, try and get some help from a local, experienced angler who can show you the basics, and advise on what you may need for the fishing you intend to do. I'm sure if you contact a local club they would direct you to someone who could offer advice. If not, there are plenty on this forum who I'm sure would be pleased to help.

I know for sure that if I hadn't had expert help when I started fly fishing then I may well have ended up making a poor choice and spending far more money than I needed to. As it is, I've now got a rod that's perfectly suited for me and didn't break the bank, although I havent caught that much yet....Still, it's great fun learning!

Janet

so if i got a cheap fly rod and reall and a book of flies like thisss>>>>http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/go-fishing-fly-combo-17715021/ ...... the go to the local strem (in london) ats where i live and have a couple of hours of a weeekend i could have a chance????also dry file would thay b better for the winter ??? thnks for all posts though

It is possible to start fly fishing by getting a cheap setup like that and having a go. However it is a hard way to start especially on a small stream if there is not much room and if there is no one else to watch and learn from.

One way you could have a go with a fly for the chub and cheap is to get a bubble float and fish with that on a coarse fishing rod & reel. Just put the bubble float on the end of your line with a 3-4 foot leader with a dry fly on the end and trot it down the stream watching for anything taking the fly.

Brian.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Firstly Do you have any transport?

If so and if you can get yourself to Grafham Water on 7th Dec. Grafham Water Fly Fishers have a casting morning. There is 1 place left and it's £15 for 4 hours tuition with Peter Hartley. 9am to 1pm.

This is aimed mainly at Pike Fly Casting but the principles are exactly the same. Peter has tackle you can use.

Let me know.

Colin

Firstly Do you have any transport?

If so and if you can get yourself to Grafham Water on 7th Dec. Grafham Water Fly Fishers have a casting morning. There is 1 place left and it's £15 for 4 hours tuition with Peter Hartley. 9am to 1pm.

This is aimed mainly at Pike Fly Casting but the principles are exactly the same. Peter has tackle you can use.

Let me know.

Colin

where isit anywhere near canning town in eastlondon