im a beginer fly angler

swanyboii

So you don't have transport?? Is that correct??

If you don't? Forget Grafham as it's about 70 miles north of London just off the A1.

Colin from a post in the course section swany is 14 :g: !

Swany walthamstow resavoiur is twenty minutes on a bus from Canning town, they stock Trout and and have a club who would help novices dont start on a small stream without help you would be disillusioned in an hour and never try again. A trout stream in Romford ;) theres a thing!

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Colin from a post in the course section swany is 14 :g: !

Swany walthamstow resavoiur is twenty minutes on a bus from Canning town, they stock Trout and and have a club who would help novices dont start on a small stream without help you would be disillusioned in an hour and never try again. A trout stream in Romford ;) theres a thing!

Have you got a bike? :unsure:

Only kidding Swany.

As I said forget Grafham it's a bit to far for you.

Now when you get some transport of your own and if you are still interested in 3 or 4 years, give Grafham a go!!

Good luck :D

• 4 weeks later...

I would start with a still water who will lend you tackle. Don't rush into buying fly fishing tackle don't forget the rod is absolutely essential to your style and place of fishing ..... buy the wrong action/length rod and you will regret it. But if you really want to go for a cheap purchase straight away then stick to the tried and tested bargain from Shakespeare, the Trion. If you can get the cash for the next step up then go for the small makers like Mick Bells Bloke Rods (who made my favorite rod ever for £100 a bargain believe or or not, he is on ebay).

There is a reservoir in Walthamstow where they do lots of beginner lessons. I have not been there myself but on the Flyforums it gets some good reviews ...... looks like a bleak place to me ...... but it's meant to be very good for starters.

There are also some small waters around Romford:

http://www.go-fish.co.uk/essex.htm

I would also join the flyforum (as well as this truly fantastic forum I have just joined) and get some beginner advice and even tackle offers.

Carl

http://www.wandlepiscators.net/

http://teiseangling.co.uk/index.htm

'Success has many friends and failure many orphans'

Clinton

Start off with your knowledge of coarse fishing.

Use the knowledge from the telly to set up a rod and then use a straight forward size 18/20 hook on the end.

Put a maggot or two on it (worm and bread will whizz off)

Now get out there and try whizzing the line out just like you saw on the telly.

Get a pal to video you on their phone and then look at the shape that the line makes and check it against the telly etc.

Go down the library and use the online search to find a dvd to start you off.

Do not worry about having the perfect cast that will come later.

If you catch fish... go for it.

The key skill is in straightening the line once you have made the cast then you will register the bite.

If you are regularly catching with the bait then substitue a fly on the end.

"Muddlin' along"

Start off with your knowledge of coarse fishing.

Use the knowledge from the telly to set up a rod and then use a straight forward size 18/20 hook on the end.

Put a maggot or two on it (worm and bread will whizz off)

Now get out there and try whizzing the line out just like you saw on the telly.

Get a pal to video you on their phone and then look at the shape that the line makes and check it against the telly etc.

Go down the library and use the online search to find a dvd to start you off.

Do not worry about having the perfect cast that will come later.

If you catch fish... go for it.

The key skill is in straightening the line once you have made the cast then you will register the bite.

If you are regularly catching with the bait then substitue a fly on the end.

:g: moggots on a Trout water,

Thats good advice, espeacialy if you never want to go back!

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!