What flies to use

Wild Angler

Hi all,

I’m about to try some winter Grayling fishing on the river Tummel near Pitlochry and wondered if anyone has any advice on where to fish and what flies to use?

Cheers,

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Wild Angler

If you have rising fish small general patterns like Greenwells glory or Adams are always a good bet as will be black gnat patterns especially a small parachute hackled version.

If you are having to root on the bottom for them then the well leaded czech nymph patterns and gold heads are always a safe bet.

hope this helps

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

If you have rising fish small general patterns like Greenwells glory or Adams are always a good bet as will be black gnat patterns especially a small parachute hackled version.

If you are having to root on the bottom for them then the well leaded czech nymph patterns and gold heads are always a safe bet.

hope this helps

Thanks Alan,

I'm fishing next saturday and hope I see a fish or two moving on the surface, but I'm worried if they are deep as I've never tried the czech nymphs, but nows as good a time as any tolear.

Cheers

Wild Angler

Thanks Alan,

I'm fishing next saturday and hope I see a fish or two moving on the surface, but I'm worried if they are deep as I've never tried the czech nymphs, but nows as good a time as any tolear.

Cheers

They are heavy and sink like a stone slow your cast right down untill you get the feel for them and you will be fine.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

• 1 month later...

Don't forget the shrimp patterns. Pink is meant to be the killer colour for the Grayling, although on my river it doesn't seem to work that well .............. gold head hares ears.

In fact most mini versions of trout nymphs. But then my rivers graylings are never over 6".

Carl

http://www.wandlepiscators.net/

http://teiseangling.co.uk/index.htm

'Success has many friends and failure many orphans'

Clinton

Hi all,

I’m about to try some winter Grayling fishing on the river Tummel near Pitlochry and wondered if anyone has any advice on where to fish and what flies to use?

Cheers,

Hi this post caught my attention, I used to go to school up there at kinloch rannoch, and fished the tummel for many years, but never heard of grayling being caught. mind you that was *cough* many years ago *cough*

Is this a new addition to the river or have they been there for years?

Cheers

Phil

Ask a question and be a fool for 5 minutes! Never ask a question and be a fool for life! .

A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi this post caught my attention, I used to go to school up there at kinloch rannoch, and fished the tummel for many years, but never heard of grayling being caught. mind you that was *cough* many years ago *cough*

Is this a new addition to the river or have they been there for years?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

As far as I know the Grayling have been in these waters for many years. I fished the stretch of river just outside Pitlochry from just under the bridge where the A9 passes over the river twice now.

First time it was –4 and sunny, and only caught the one at about 7”- 8” on a "Czech Nymph Hares Ear & Amber", I was finding it really difficult to get down deep enough as there was a good rate of water flowing.

Second time it was again sunny but this time a wee bit warmer at +3. I caught 2 Grayling and a nice trout all on a Bead Head Greenwells. The Grayling again on the small side, 1 at about 7”- 8” again and the other closer to the 10” – 11” mark , both lovely fish tough. The brownie was a nice fish at a good 14” and possibly a good 1.5 lbs.

Still having difficulty getting the flies down and controlling them.

Cheers,

Wild Angler