What is a 'true' angler?

Peter Waller

To me although bernard venables, chris yates and bob james are almost certainly true anglers i believe a true angler is one that is content with the water he/she has and sticks to it, gradually admiring nature and angling to its full extent.

I say this because some people do not get the priveleges of traveling to the best course fishing river in england, or the most prductive lake in england. However i do agree being a true angler must be at one with nature and must love every aspect of this wonderful past time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

a true angler is an angler that just appreciates being out on the river,an angler that doesnt mind if he cathces no fish just enjoys going out and spending a few hours casting and fishing and if you cach a fish thats a bonus.

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

I think a true angler is someone who can turn their hand to any type of fishing or prepared to have a go. One that has respect for all others around him and the enviorement in which he fishes. Be prepared to help others less knowledgable and also be prepared never to stop learning. To be able to strike a balance between fishing and the rest of his life so as other aspects do not suffer eg family friends and work. Respect the fact that everyone has their favourite approach to fishing and as long as they are fishing within the rules respect that.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I'd have thought that an inherent quality of a 'true angler' is that he or she doesn't judge other anglers.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

But in its own way that, surely, is a judgment on other folk! ;)

No. Me saying it may be, but I never claimed to be a true angler. ;)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

A true angler?

Everyone will have his/her own definition, and an old cynic like me would expect each individual's definition to describe themselves.

Me?

I'm just a compulsive angler. Fishing is what I do.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

a true angler is someone who plans to go fishing ,even on a whim ,and not plans to go catching fish .Everything else is incidental !

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve