What is a 'true' angler?

Peter Waller

A True angler is one who is at one with their quarry; can put themselves in their quarrys place no matter what the weather and is always ready to improve their watercraft.

A True angler is always willing to learn something new which will make it easier to trick their quarry into taking their baited hook or lure; is never in a hurry to cast their bait and is as much at home when sitting and observing their quarry than when fishing for them.

A True Angler realises that they will never know it all but partly due to instinct and partly due to what they have learnt will eventually get it right and land the fish they are out to catch and realise that the inevitable blank is inevitable.

A true angler thinks "what am I doing wrong?" and makes subtle changes if bites are not forthcoming; when other anglers are thinking "the fish are'nt biting today".

Most of us aspire to be a true angler but except for a few of us we usually fall at the second hurdle.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true angler is someone who realises how bl00dy lucky he is to be able to be one with nature at the water - catching fish is a bonus!!

I love being by the waters edge too as much as I do catching fish of any size Kleinbloet.

Nothing beats the sight of a Kingfisher skimming along the far bank, or a fleet of ducklings out finding their feet on a new water. Seems a shame that a lot of anglers have forgotten about why they started in the first place, more concerned on catching ever increasing amounts of ever expanding fish rather than enjoying the variety that nature provides.

Not trying to preach, just wish a few more anglers would see past their buckets of pellets, and discover what a beautiful and diverse place we live in. :)

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

I reckon a true angler is someone who, when looking out of the window first thing in the morning, or watching the weather forecast, immediately thinks of (1) the species that is best suited to the conditions, (2) the best river or lake to go to to take advantage of it, (3) the most likely stretch or swims, (4) the tackle and bait that'll be needed, (5) finally, whether they're actually able to go or not :D

A true angler is observant, careful and good at improvising, and enjoys a challenge.

Importantly, a true angler, when finally by the waterside, won't mind not catching anything. In fact, sometimes it can be rather an intrusion!

(I keep looking out of the window and wishing I was perch fishing!)

Oh, and lastly, a true angler knows how little he or she actually knows, especially when steps 1-5 above prove completely wrong, again :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music