What is a 'true' angler?

Peter Waller

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn you Peter you got me all confused. Sometimes I have a float rod in my hands, sometimes a quiver rod, sometimes even a beachcaster and yes I even have a bivvy and sit behind a "battery :D " of rods.

So I am a true angler....no i'm not!....yes I am!....no i'm not!

AAARRRGGGGHHHH, where's them bloody medication?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

quote:

Enjoys their fishing (expert of not)

Treats fish, the water and the surrounding enviroment with respect

Treats fellow anglers with respect, even if he doesn't agree with thier style of angling!

Mat

That just about sums it up. frosty

It certainly has nothing to do with what Club, Group, or Organisation you belong to. :rolleyes:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

does he have a tattoo on his arm with "fish" under a heart

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

did crabtree have a tattoo

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

*Anthony*:

True Angler : Someone that returns home from a session soaking wet, freezing cold, having blanked and having totally enjoyed the experience.

There's a True angler. would you do it all again tomorrow?

Surely virtually every angler is a true angler. One assumes that the definition is one who loves fishing. And if one didn't, one wouldn't go? There are some prats I disagree with, but they are still anglers... even the bivvy boys. They wouldn't do it if they didn't enjoy it.

Same with the commercial carp bag-up boys. It's not fishing as I see it, but they get their (misguided) kicks from it, so they are enjoying what they do.

Incidentally, the late Bernard Venables was a great writer and a lovely bloke. But he wasn't a great angler, if greatness is assessed by innovation or captures. What he had was the gift of expressing himself in words and pictures. A true angler, certainly, but no truer than the ordinary bloke who loves his fishing every bit as much but can't necessarily express himself in the same way.

Anybody who is bothering to respond on this forum is a true angler... because he or she cares enough to do so.

And anybody who fishes from a boat is a sensible angler. You'll learn more about the venue and its inhabitants in a day spent in a boat than you ever could on the bank. Now a boat angler really is truer than true.......

Fenboy

Can we dispose of the myth that a bivvy and bite alarms automatically means a lack of watercraft? I really think it's about time.

On my last trip it took me over two hours to place three rods, due to weed growth and the nature of the lakebed. After finding the fish, I toiled with marker float and Polaroids, climbed a tree and finally took to the boat in an effort to locate the 'right' spots. All done as quietly and discretely as I could, but never settling for second-best. It was hard going but worth it for a winter carp.

I matched my rigs and bait to each situation and watched the water way into darkness, long after the non-bivvy'd anglers had gone home to their centrally heated houses.

My bivvy lets me stay on the water without turning fishing into some hideous trial. The sleep I get - not much, there's too much going on during the night for a proper sleep - allows me to be in the right condition to safely conduct myself next to a lake and to handle large and lively fish without undue risk to them or me.

I use, and learn, plenty of watercraft, thanks. My bivvy helps that process, rather than detracting from it.

Just so's you know, like.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.