West Bay Charter Trip Sat 6th

FearTheHands

Myself & four mates will be heading out of West Bay on Saturday on 'Duchess II' so hoping for good weather!

Anyone else been out on this boat/location ?

Am looking forward to it as it's the 1st trip out I've had since April!

I've got me ginger boiled sweets at the ready :D

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sad to say not a very good report at all.

Skipper & his female sidekick were one of the most unhelpful people I've had the misfortune to encounter. All but myself were boat fishing virgin's & no instruction was given to the novices, it was left to me to show them the ropes (& I'm no expert).

The thing that p*ssed all of us off (other four being city dwellers) was the blatant disregard for the sea & fish both in charge of the boat clearly showed. In particular the amount of litter they threw into the sea was utterly disgusting. Empty pop cans, tape, shopping bag, fishing line etc it was constant & entirely not needed.

"Why not say something ?" I hear you ask - difficult when you are trying to show your mates a good time & you're 3 miles out at sea with 5 hours left to go.

The fish were very few & far between - we were meant to be targeting Black Bream - the only person to catch any of these was the skippers sidekick, she managed to land 5, where the rest of us didn't manage any. I asked what she was doing different to us, what bait etc only to be met by no response at all.

It was left down to me to tell all my non fishing mates that they should check they still have bait on the end of their lines every so often etc etc

Although it didn't ruin the day, it most certainly didn't enhance it.

We managed to land (ourselves) pollack, mackerel, whiting, pouting, doggies & a little bit of coral (dead mans fingers ??)

I would recommend that anyone considering the 'Dutchess II' went elsewhere & I feel sorry for the sea each time they go out as I now know where most of the litter on my beach comes from, not the tourists, from ignorant & obnoxious charter boat skippers

I know at least one other AN regular who has had very similar experiences to mine, hopefully he will also post & tell his experiences as well ...

[ 18. August 2005, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: FearTheHands ]

FearTheHands.gif

aar, fear the hands is not alone in his dissapointment.

Mrs Becky & I have been out twice on this boat, we thought the first trip may have been a glitch but glen's observations were confirmed on our second outing.

on the first trip i told the skipper i was into a big fish as he was revving the engine up & telling everyone to get their lines in, he came over & told me i was just stuck on the bottom, pulled my line & then carried on revving the boat up. i struggled to get the 6lb cod up against the drag of the boat, it didn't help with the skipper yelling at me to get my line in. He did stop the boat again when i told him what i had though.

Imagine my heart sinking when arriving for the second trip at 7am in weymouth, only to see a total scumbag from west bay already on board & realising we've got to spend the next 8 hours next to this waste of space. scumbag was on his second can of tennants super before we had left the harbour at 8am & had drunk 4 cans by the time we had reached the wreck. him being to drunk to fish then started shouting down his mobile to other scumbags about how drunk he would get with them later, his language showing no regard to the fact he was next to a young boy. I thought the skipper would have said some thing when he started throwing all his beer cans, bait wrappers & plastic bags overboard, but no, the skipper just watched him & said nothing. i can see from fear the hands post that this is standard practice on this boat anyway.

we did catch fish however but it is a bit dissapointing when having spent 20 minutes pumping up a ling from 200 feet, when the skipper cuts your line off rather than trying to untangle it from another angler.

we didnt catch any bass while drifting the races, but the size the skipper was letting the others keep put me in mind of the size of the farmed bass you get in the supermarket. but as fear the hands says, what can you say when you are out at sea & the skippers word is law ?

I should have listened to my mate when he said " don't go out with him, he's a ******" :mad:

Strange that neither of you have complained about his smelly dog. :D:D Or was the mutt left ashore for the day?

I`ve seen a few reports about this boat that have extolled the virtues of the skipper. Maybe they`d all been in the pub together the night before, and couldn`t actually remember the fishing bit?

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Yes, spasor, Fred Basset does pong quite a bit! Thankfully he spent most of the time in the cabin until we got out our sarnies...

big_cod - I don't buy TSF each month - care to elaborate ?

FearTheHands.gif

originally posted by spasor

quote:

Strange that neither of you have complained about his smelly dog. Or was the mutt left ashore for the day?

christ, was that a dog ? i thought it was one of the ships rats

I used to go out on the Salt wind of Dart with Lloyd Saunders, an excellent skipper. Mike Baker from Exmouth has a good rep for catching the fish too,

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com