What should I look for

poledark

I'm sure you will Chris, at least your making the effort. I never know quite what to do when someone makes a wee mistake like that. If one continually corrects others it makes one look a pedant, on the other hand if one says nothing the other party does not know they are making a mistake and the carry on making the same error. My late father-in-law used to keep me in line whenever I got something terribly wrong, or when I had found a 'fausse ami'. Since he died there is nobody to correct my little mistakes. Even after nearly 20 years I still drop some huge clangers.

You keep on JUST as you are for me matey!!! NEVER too old tolearn is my motto!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep on JUST as you are for me matey!!! NEVER too old tolearn is my motto!!!
I think your right mate. Like I always say to Brits I meet on the ferry or in France who claim that they will 'never' be able to speak French, "If I can do it, anyone can". Once I was chatting to a French lorry driver at the bar in the Ferry terminal in Portsmouth. He told me my French was pretty good. I shrugged it off, said I was just making an effort. He told me that I was doing more than making an effort, he told me that he had been trying to place my accent (as I am sure you know, French has as many regional accents and dialects as does English) and he only realised that I was not from a Francophone nation when I ordered another pint from the bar in English. That made me feel quite good. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

dont forget to haggle whatever it is ,i got over £20 off a telly at sainsburies the other day ,box was a bit grubby and dented so i offered to buy the telly found the assistant manager who called the electronics section manager she offered a tenner i said £20 she said ok ,back home plugging it in revealed the screen was damaged so back to the shop ,new box new telly and strangely another £3.25 in vat back :D

thats in places where reductions are rare in pukka shops where the manager owns it far better ones are out there ,go to the person in charge though ;)

the telly is pretty dire hd wise only a 800 but it was better than the one we had plus a built in dvd and perfect for the bedroom, full hd is reserved for bigger screen sizes than 15" ,its also nicer to have stereo rather than mono through a tinny speaker like the last one ,its being "recycled" to go in a grandkids room

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new monitor today...PC World........Samsung T220 22" Oh wow! brilliant picture :) Real blacks...I can now read the AN screen :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Yep, 'tis the Rose Black :) as Tommy Steele would say, "what a picture,what a picture...rum tilly, rumtilly rum tum tum...........stick it in your family, album" :) :)

I just find myself gazing at the screen in wonder...........the colour is SUPERB......and the detail every bit I hoped for :) Lightning fast as well :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Yep, 'tis the Rose Black :) as Tommy Steele would say, "what a picture,what a picture...rum tilly, rumtilly rum tum tum...........stick it in your family, album" :) :)

I just find myself gazing at the screen in wonder...........the colour is SUPERB......and the detail every bit I hoped for :) Lightning fast as well :)

Den

Like n4lly said Den, if your video card has HDMI then HDMI -> will make it look even better. If not get a new Video card with HDMI output. You should be able to get one for not too much dosh. I used to be a big fan of Nvidia graphic cards some some of the recent ATI offerings are really good. Do you know what video adapter types your PC supports?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Not sure Cory, but will have a look around. I already play and transfer my HD videos (1080 AVCHD) to the PC connected to the "handycam playstation" via a USB connection. I can then play them via Sony picture motion browser and do simple editing.

The monitor is connected with a DVI connector.

Den

Not sure Cory, but will have a look around. I already play and transfer my HD videos (1080 AVCHD) to the PC connected to the "handycam playstation" via a USB connection. I can then play them via Sony picture motion browser and do simple editing.

The monitor is connected with a DVI connector.

Den

You've already answered my question Den. If your using a DVI cable your doing it the right way already.

Cory, my video card is this one..

"Geforce 7500LE

The 7500LE was an OEM card manufactured for use in HP PCs. The card was never released for the public and is only available in certain HP PCs. It uses the G73 core and by default has 256MB DDR2 Memory with Turbocache (Up to 512MB) and has a 550MHZ Core clock and 800MHZ Memory clock. This card is often mistaken for the Ati Radeon 7500LE because of their identical names."

I think it does struggle a bit, hence the fan going into overdrive when working on the AVC stuff :) I never knew that fans had variable speeds until I started playing with HD video :) but it has never let me down yet.

I have had a look at some other Nvidia cards, but where do you start? About £100 to spend? I note some have "dualDVI and HD" outputs.

Den

Edited by poledark