Where do you keep your bits ?

desperate dan

Evening all ..... starting to sort out the shopping list to be prepared for entering into the world of kayak fishing. I am picking up a few bits and bobs and putting together an action - well Saturday night TV is pants isn't it ????? I have been contremplating where would be the best place to store terminal tackle and lures. I have an Ocean Drifter which has a samll area in front which I am lead to believe is a tackle box storage point, but is pretty small. I would imagine trying to turn around to access the rear area is pretty awkward and 'hooching along to the front will raise it's own issues. So what is the solution? I have a small pocketed belt I use when fly fishing or when we go wading for bass which I guess would be one. There are various combinations of this available with differing numbers of pockets. Obviously your PFD would limit some of these.

Like most anglers I know I carry too much gear with me when I normally fish and apprciate I would have to consider what is essential and what is not, however woould be interested in your comments.... Thanks

Hi Dan

There are several seats on the maket that have a large pouch on the back, Surf to Summit for example.

The pouch is big enough to keep plenty of gear in.

http://www.surftosummit.com/

Turning to reach into the back isnt that awkward realy, just takes a little practice sitting side saddle, and keeping your centre of balance over the centre of the kayak while you turn.

Keeping it simple is the way to go, and taking only what you need for any given trip.

You will soon find a place for your bits n bobs.

Bill. :)

I keep my bits in me underpants!

Sorry Dan, couldn't resist it.

I hope your not going straight out fishing without learning to kayak first! You will regret it. Kayak fishing is an extension of kayaking, not the other way round.

I use a Fladen tackle belt, zip pockets, plenty of room for all your fishing tackle. You will find fishing off a kayak very difficult to begin with, it's the lack of storage space, even for any fish you catch.

Best get a few hours in the kayak fist mate, chuck yourself in the drink and get back in a couple of dozen times until you can do it with no problems, in deep water.

Wait until you can paddle up the coast for about two hours and back again to make sure your strong enough to cope with an emergency.

Thanks for the comments chaps ...... have no fear Mike there is no way that I am going to venture out without a few hours practice and some dunkings. I will be taking you up on your offer of meeting up som time for some instruction and tips before venturing out. My long time friend and fishing bubby I mentioned before has now bought himself a Drifter so will be bugging you and Bill until the time we can get out. I am clearing my garage so we can work on the yaks over winter months and get them ready for the off....

Whilst on the subject my partner has offered to but me a pair of 'dry' trousers and dry kag for Christmas. What do you think of that sort of combo ?

Whats the chances of meeting up for a pre Xmas drinkies ?

Dan *<:0)#

Thanks for the comments chaps ...... have no fear Mike there is no way that I am going to venture out without a few hours practice and some dunkings. I will be taking you up on your offer of meeting up som time for some instruction and tips before venturing out. My long time friend and fishing bubby I mentioned before has now bought himself a Drifter so will be bugging you and Bill until the time we can get out. I am clearing my garage so we can work on the yaks over winter months and get them ready for the off....

Whilst on the subject my partner has offered to but me a pair of 'dry' trousers and dry kag for Christmas. What do you think of that sort of combo ?

Whats the chances of meeting up for a pre Xmas drinkies ?

Dan *<:0)#

Hiya Dan

Good news re your fishing buddy getting a Yak too.

Lucky you....Cag and pants for Chrimbo......what a partner you have :D

Again it all boils down to your own preference re Cag and paddle pants.

I like the versitility of the Cag and pants, but thats just my choice.

If you go for a dry cag....think about the neoprene neck option, so much more comfortable than the latex neck. ( Just my opinion ) tried them both.

Bill. :)

I use a Fladen tackle belt, zip pockets, plenty of room for all your fishing tackle.

Are you saying that you wear a belt with all your tackle in round your waist Mike or have I misunderstood?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hey Bill .... yeah I am dead lucky .... :D

These are the 'bits' C has found for me .... The prices seem reasonable

The paddle pants .... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260321968652

The kag top .... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190211898401

The kag top and pants appeals to me in that you can 'layer' depending on weather and conditions. What do you recommend for footwear ? I have a pair of 5mm neoprene booties I use for diving - would they do the job or is there something else ?

Richi, your posts will soon be as long as your kayak if you keep adding stuff to the bottom. :D

Yes, it has a wide adjustable belt, it's great. I think I bought it on fleabay, but it's Fladen, so you should find one easily. Quite cheap as I remember, and Iv'e used it for a couple of years.

Mike.

Found this http://www.marinemegastore.com/product-pro...FLA_27_0233.htm

but this one is mine, http://78.136.21.195/product-product-FLA_27_0172.htm

What you can't see is the long zip pocket on the rear, handy for new rigs in their packets, like mackerel feathers etc.

I put a couple of weights in a side pocket, odds and ends in the other side, and rigs, disgorger etc in the middle. Couldn't fish without it.

Now I must search for some more anchor rope, had to cut mine free last time out. Now it's too short!

Dan, I use those boots, over my dry suit or with my 5/4/3. Absolutely fine.

Edited by maidstonemike

Yes, it has a wide adjustable belt, it's great. I think I bought it on fleabay, but it's Fladen, so you should find one easily. Quite cheap as I remember, and Iv'e used it for a couple of years.

Mike.

What you can't see is the long zip pocket on the rear, handy for new rigs in their packets, like mackerel feathers etc.

I put a couple of weights in a side pocket, odds and ends in the other side, and rigs, disgorger etc in the middle. Couldn't fish without it.

I wouldn't be able to use one as I use a Nookie tow line to leash myself to the yak when I go solo offshore and it lives in a bag around my waist.

For you the tackle belt may be O.K. but I think for others it may hinder self recovery or they may even suffer a hook up the jacksy :blink:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph