Making weights from stones & pebbles

Jim Murray

Sure someone on AN must have tried it. How easy is it & is it worth doing?

Very easy, just drill some hole in some pebbles and super glue some swivels in.

As for worth doing? Thats a much harder one to answer. Ive tried them for barbel and i cant really say it seemed to make a lot of difference for me, but i do know people who think it is worth doing. I think it depends on conditions and what you are doing with them.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Very easy, just drill some hole in some pebbles and super glue some swivels in.

As for worth doing? Thats a much harder one to answer. Ive tried them for barbel and i cant really say it seemed to make a lot of difference for me, but i do know people who think it is worth doing. I think it depends on conditions and what you are doing with them.

Interesting. I assume they are easy enough to drill out? I'd mostly be using them around the 2oz. size for piking. Wanted to try them mainly to avoid leaving lead in the water when you have to pull for a break.

Interesting. I assume they are easy enough to drill out?

Yes, if you have a little masonry bit just the right size for your swivels and a hammer drill.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I would side with the "Doesnt make any difference" camp but I may try this myself soon. At least all I lose when I get snagged is a swivel and some time and not another lump of lead that cost me a quid from the tackle shop.

That sort of thing always annoys me, especially when it happens for the 4th time and you only have one weight left!

As Lutra says...a small masonary bit, a vice to hold the stone and a steady hand. Wash the hole you make and allow to dry to make sure all the dust is removed otherwise the glue will not hold too well.

You could even write the weight of the stone on it so you know what your chucking out. I dont think the fish can read anyway so it shouldnt spook them!

The only people who ever seem to wax lyrical about the Stonze weights are often seen in photos wearing Pallatrax hats :rolleyes:

I'm in the 'doesn't make any difference whatsoever' camp; however, the cost benefits of making your own are clear. You may struggle to cast accurately at any kind of distance (depending on the shape of the stone), but I can't think of any other down-sides. I'd probably go for Araldite rather than superglue.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The only people who ever seem to wax lyrical about the Stonze weights are often seen in photos wearing Pallatrax hats :rolleyes:

I'm in the 'doesn't make any difference whatsoever' camp; however, the cost benefits of making your own are clear. You may struggle to cast accurately at any kind of distance (depending on the shape of the stone), but I can't think of any other down-sides. I'd probably go for Araldite rather than superglue.

I agree Andrew. I can't see that it would make a lot of difference, and a two part epoxy would be my adhesive of choice.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I make my own using pebbles for carping.

Not because i think they look more natural, just that i fish with my clips set very light and i expect to lose a weight every time i get a run. I don't really like the idea of leaving lots of lead in the water.

Also compared to the cost of buying lead weights, these cost next to nothing. Only the cost of a swivel and a minute of my time.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

I have used pebbles, but on a slightly different track. I found the little jewelers bags (the ones holding loose diamonds, rings etc.) with the draw tops suited me fine. I would connect a swivel to the drawstring of the bag, open the bag and put pebbles (or sand) into it until the weight was "about right".

The joy of this method is that you can change the weight to suit where you are fishing!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription