Making weights from stones & pebbles

Jim Murray

I don't believe they make any difference either but I can definitely see a reason for using them if you're losing leads a lot. There's an awful lot of lead lost to snags etc. and it must drive the drive the price up, albeit slowly and it isn't very eco-friendly to deliberately lose lead. I don't lose that much lead to be honest, so for me, I don't know that I'd gain anything from it. I use 3-4 oz weight for pike fishing, even when fishing the margins. I simply think heavy leads help clean runs. Anything less is moved to easily if you ask me and that's a change in resistance in my opinion. 3-4oz of stone is an awful big rock.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The adhesive is important and the suggestion of Araldite and two part epoxy are correct, the most important and costly part is the vice to hold the stones whist drilling them, a stone flying through your garage at X thousand revolution can cause a lot a damage, if not death.

Should you be using flint stone then i am not sure that a masonry bit will be man enough for the job?

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

As a kid I used to collect flint stone of the beach at Hastings, these would have holes in them were chalk had been but had washed out in the sea, I then used to ties a bit of line through the hole and add a swivle, I used these for sea fishing. I still have one in my sea tackle box, it must be 35 years ago when i collected it.

The benifit was that I used to lose a lot of weight fishing over rock ground in the sea, these were free and did the job. As an aside I also used to use my dads old spark plugs for sea weights.

The adhesive is important and the suggestion of Araldite and two part epoxy are correct, the most important and costly part is the vice to hold the stones whist drilling them, a stone flying through your garage at X thousand revolution can cause a lot a damage, if not death.

Should you be using flint stone then i am not sure that a masonry bit will be man enough for the job?

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

if you don't want to mess around with drills and things ,there are alternative forms of attachment

paperclip method

paperclippedstone.jpg

banded Pebble Method

bandedpebble.jpg

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

That would work yes.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Not a bad idea, although I should mention that if the motivation is financial then lead can be sourced quite legally for free (I'm not telling, get your own supply, but it's no big secret!). If environmental concerns are the driving force, and that's very commendable, does anyone have any data regards the effects of larger lead weights in our waterways?

Geoff