British Fish Species

Elton

Posted on behalf of Pete. Please add all replies to this thread:

Please could you tell me how many species of fish are found in British waters. Thanks

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Well, according to the Freshwater Biological Association there are 57 species.

Extract from a book summary.

Based on Peter Maitland's earlier Key to British Freshwater Fishes, published by the FBA in 1972, this new edition has been extensively enlarged and updated. Fifty-seven species are recognised in a checklist for Britain and Ireland, including several new species such as Black Bullhead, False Harlequin and Sunbleak, which have recently become established in Britain. Additionally, Sterlet, Siberian Sturgeon, Grass Carp, Channel Catfish and Brown Bullhead are also included in the keys to species (though not illustrated) because they may be encountered in fresh and estuarine waters within the British Isles.

since when did tarpon grace our rivers :o not sure about pumpkin seeds or big heads either (if there not established how is it a british fish) nor sturgeon.

perhaps rather than a list of british fish its a mac fisheries order pad

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i must admit i didnt know that ,scratch that one off the list ,do aquarium fish count :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The presence of the two bullhead (Small American catfish) species is worrying. I wonder where they were recorded.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

with all the species entering our seas that wasnt heard off 20 years ago it would make sense that more freshwater species are surviving here that may not have done before.

my local aquarium as 100s of species and more and more exotics every year, it only takes a few escapes or people keeping fish outside that find there way into our water systems,

a small pool on a piece of waste ground here was filled with kio, golden orfe, and shubunkins, from someones garden pool, rumour has it that the fish got there threw a wife releasing her husbands pond fish in there after an arguement, could happen with fish tanks

global warming may produce some more target species for us

The presence of the two bullhead (Small American catfish) species is worrying. I wonder where they were recorded.

One of them has been a resident nuisance in France for many years so the surprising thing to me has always been their absense (or as it appears, such small numbers as to not be noticed) in the UK.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President