Abbotsbury At Its BEST

MainBassMan

That doesnt look good, flippin cold too, funilly enough the last time I went to Chesil with Ziggy and John Storey it was so cold my fresh bait actually froze!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No gain without pain!

If you do the long walk, you will have the wind in your back on the way up. On the way back, stay on the seaward side of the beach until the last few hundred yards.

These are reports from Sunday 30th

"After all the wind and festive stuff finally got a day free to fish, thought about the dragons teeth but ended up at my usual spot just past the bridging camp.

could not get hold of any fresh lug but had a few wraps of frozen along with plenty of hermit, squid and mackerel. Having a chat with a chap fishing near the fenced off area he kindly gave me some fresh lug, many thanks if you use this site.

anyhow, got the first rod out at about 10:30am with squid and frozen lug, setting up the second rod I noticed the first rod had "slack lined" I thought here we go cod first cast, after getting the fish near the surf and a lot of head shaking it turned out to be the biggest pout I have every seen let alone caught, could not have been much under 2lb !!!

Anyway to cut a long story short, I packed up about 11pm with 3 monster pout (all kept) about 15 doggies and a few good sized whiting, no cod but plenty of fish ...

I did loose a good fish in the surf which felt very cod like and had a good wieght to it, me leader knot snapped just as I got it past the gutter ... serves me right for not changing my line from my last trip ....

BTW had the pout for dinner last night and it was very good, not alot different from cod in taste and texture, nice big white flakes and good flavour ..."

"Two of my sprogs have been staying with my mum and dad for a couple of days after christmas, arranged to pick them up on sunday 30th then had a brainwave....quick call to mate in weymouth with a boat at the fleet and plans hatched for an early start for a few hours at chesil before going on to devon to pick up the kids. had a rummage in the freezer and found four peeler crabs, some black lug and a box of squid. Met mate at moonfleet at 7am and fishing by about half past. Thought id use some of the crab whilst tide still running (high tide at 1030), using portsmouth rig with 30lb snoods and 3/0 sakumas. Out went lug and crab together, first couple of casts nothing happening then had a slack line bite and something with a bit of weight on. Short while later fat cod on the beach - 7lb 15oz - a shore pb! after that constant stream of jumbo pout, whiting and dogfish. Conditions perfect as well, no wind, mild and lots of colour in the water. About 1100 had another codling of about 2 1/2lb. Getting short of crab and worm by this time so changed to straight squid on both hooks. More pout and whiting followed until another huge slack liner, reeled in until another solid weight on, one fantastic tussle later with some hairy moments in the surf - still a bit of swell coming in - had a 13lb 5oz conger - biggest i have had at chesil. packed up about 2pm, with the pout whiting and dogfish as well reckon i had at least 25lb of fish. Hopefully more sessions like this to come in 2008!"

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I wonder if they are true? Ive fished Chesil all my life, not so much lately and the best I ever saw was 2 - 4lb cod, plenty of bass and plaice in the summer and buckets full of dabs when I was younger.

Anyway, may give it a go on Monday, Friday looks cold and windy! oe next weekend

Cheers for the hope anyway Jim!!

Dan

The last couple of winters that I have been a little bit more active, have shown a lot of really big pout.

Langton was always a place renowned for Pout 40 years ago.

People who only fish at either end of the beach and don't want to walk far from where they park their car, have no idea what can be caught elsewhere along the beach.

22lb is the biggest cod I have heard of this winter. I remember a friend of mine catching a 16lb Turbut between the Bridging camp and Chickerell, right opposite the Mod range. My best cod was 20lb, long time ago though.

I've heard 2 stories of people catching over 20 cod in a session this winter.

You have to choose the time and place and hope the weather is favourable.

The only comps that I ever won, were fished at places that people don't want to walk to. It means packing up early to get back to the weigh-in though. Too old and knees too bad for much of that nowadays.

I've got some halibut pellets soaking in aniseed oil at the moment.

Edited by Jim Roper

I've got some halibut pellets soaking in aniseed oil at the moment.

WHY?!!!!

My trouble is that I'm now in Exeter which is further from the Portland end. Might go later this week tho. Getting lug is a pain though so may rely on squid muscles and mackeral

One other thing I only have a convertable at the moment, is there anywhere safeish to park?

Dan

Edited by Dan

One other thing I only have a convertable at the moment, is there anywhere safeish to park?

Dan

I've had my petrol tank drained at Abbotsbury in the past. Just had enough to get back to Weymouth where I tried to fill up and found a hole in the pipe underneath. I've been wary of Abbotsbury ever since!

MBM parks in a passing place away from the car park and f**k anybody who wants to pass.

Never lost anything in the Portland Beach car park, even though I left the car keys in the door all one night!

Park near the info centre under the lights, even if the tide is up and you have to walk a long way around the water (or wade through it) before you head west. Buy a parking ticket if the car will be there in daylight hours. Probably cost you more than the bait you use.

I did 3 weeks as a parking attendant and we weren't supposed to patrol during darkness for safety reasons, but things might have changed in the last 6 years.

Edited by Jim Roper

Cheers Jim

Just looked at the Met Office weather forecast is Southerly veering southwesterly 5 or 6, increasing 6 or gale 8, perhaps severe gale 9 for a time later.

Think I might give it a miss tomorrow!

Dan

• 1 year later...