Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

Fair enough Tigger, do you live anywhere near the A1 /

You can show me how it's done ;)

No I'm in Lancashire near the M6 a bit off your track "thank's Sportsman". I probably won't get a spot this year anyway I think a lot of members who've never been will want to go. I don't blame them it's a lovely place and Steve and Peggy (plus the bailifs) make it a great weekend. You should get priority as you've not been before so as soon as Steve takes names get your name down.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's never too early to start planning for the next Wingham fish-in! I reckon Steve will be over-booked every year from now on. I'll be there in one way or another and I'll try to help out as much as possible (Steve, consider this an open offer for assistance in any form). I've fished there a fair few times now and can try to help with features and tactics - bear in mind though that I've blanked at the last two fish-ins so you may do well to ignore me :D

Tigger, new record bream next year? B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I reckon Steve will be over-booked every year from now on.

I'm still scratching my head trying to work out why I was so over-subscribed last year but had so many spare spaces each year before then. The 2006 catches were just as spectacular as 2007. The only things I can think of is that people thought 2006 was a flash in the pan, or I was "over-egging" my own water.

Any thoughts?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Whilst I would love another opportunity to fish Wingham, I would be equally happy just to be there and help out in any way. It is indeed a truly wild and wonderful place and for me has a mystique rarely found in other waters that I have had the pleasure of fishing over the last 50 odd years. On top of that you can also learn a great deal from the extensive knowledge that exists within the forum members and colourful characters :D who are there.

I'm still scratching my head trying to work out why I was so over-subscribed last year but had so many spare spaces each year before then. The 2006 catches were just as spectacular as 2007. The only things I can think of is that people thought 2006 was a flash in the pan, or I was "over-egging" my own water.

Any thoughts?

It is odd, I can only think that it's because there have now been several very good fish-ins in a row, with the fish piling on weight year after year. Nearly everyone who goes once seems to want to go again (for obvious reasons! It is amazing) so as the numbers of first-timers increases, that base just gets bigger.

By the way Steve, as a separate point I quite liked the way you did the catch report in 2006, with all the PBs highlighted. It made for an impressive at-a-glance summary. Although the catches were more spread out that year.

I love Wingham's moodiness. Sometimes you're not doing anything really wrong, there just aren't any fish where they should be! A good example is the guy (sorry, really bad with names) who fished Middle Wood (where Richard did so well the year before). He was doing everything right, but for some reason it was empty at that point. Other times you get a little bit of luck and you can make the catch of a lifetime.

I wonder how big those tench will be next May...?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Any thoughts?

Hi Steve,

I suspect that interest has combined with results and have now reached a "critical mass" where you will always tend to be over subscribed. Personally, I hope that the results will be good enough to give some people a 'fish-of-a-lifetime' but not too many that the demand for places gets out of hand.

There's no doubt that Wingham is a special water. One that has produced some cracking fish and, I believe, will go on to produce really spectacular ones too but it's not an easy water, especially in May, when the we are at the mercy of the weather as Anderoo indicates. Given that, it will be interesting to see exactly what the interest is next May.

Heaven knows what the response would be like if Wingham produced a 20lb bream though!! :o:o

Steve C.

Maybe Steve should organise two or three ...........more fish ins this year :D

It's a massive amount of work for all those involved, and also it's not fair on paying members. So I'm afraid there's no chance of more than one Fish-In a year.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

It's a massive amount of work for all those involved, and also it's not fair on paying members. So I'm afraid there's no chance of more than one Fish-In a year.

:o what..........no chance at all...............not even a late summer treat........... :lol: