FAO Socksy - re Jersey Fishery

guernseybass

just heard what i said from one of your anglers.

As you know we are in touch with your SeaFisheries, and we haven't heard anything.

curious.

As to letting your lot in, i'm for it BUT only if yours agree the bass close season, unlicensed purchases crime etc.

any more public meetings due ?

cheers

mark.

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

Hi there,

As far as I know everything is OK.

The public meeting front has gone very quiet.

The upshot of the last one was that Fisheries were discussing licenses and a marine reserve and possible bag limits for ormers etc.

Some of us left our names and contact details at the end of the last one but nothing much has come of it so far as I know.

Hi chippy -you decided to keep the site going then ?

As far i know we still can but they are not fishing there at the moment so as not to antagonise things. I think it was only us redrawing the legislation that led to the problems, which i think were unintended.

in regard to the licences - our view is that we should pay a UK one and they should then supplement our fisheries protection vessels.

socksy - i think your guys are waiting on us & the UK. If we get this through, and the UK comes in - together with the french bass restrictione recently announced ( and more on the way - le boys are threatening to block their ferry ports :D ) you can't be the odd one out otherwise your stocks will get murdered.

and of course President Blair is in a real strong position to renegotiate the CFP with this EU budget crisis going on !

Mark.

guernseybass:

As far i know we still can but they are not fishing there at the moment so as not to antagonise things. I think it was only us redrawing the legislation that led to the problems, which i think were unintended.

in regard to the licences - our view is that we should pay a UK one and they should then supplement our fisheries protection vessels.

Guernsey boats aren't allowed in Jersey waters due to the whole 'Bay of Granville' agreement I think, in which Jersey closed it's waters to everyone else (correct me if I'm wrong please). Jersey are now whinging because they've fished out their own waters and are now in a position where they can't fish outside them. As to whether or not UK/Jersey/French boats should be allowed in Guernsey waters, I say no. I have seen the size of the French UK & Jersey vessels fishing inside Guernsey waters in the past year, and all are significantly bigger than the Guernsey fleet. Even if only 1 was allowed to fish and catch less than the local fleet, the damage done by the heavy gear it tows would be significantly worse. Bigger boats fish for more days as they can take the worse weather. The way forward for everyone is for smaller vessels keeping the fishermen in jobs without damaging the stocks.. Guernsey currently has about 5 trawlers fishing for 'angler friendly' species, on multiple occasions I've seen 6x 20m+ French Trawlers working off the west coast legally inside the 12 mile limit. Once you get outside the 6 mile limit it's a different world, believe me!

What did amuse me was David Nuth (Theseus II)spouting on about how he's a full-time charter skipper and his livelihood will be ruined. If that's the case, why does he have a longline hauler on the back of his boat? :rolleyes:

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Bit late on this one, but it has raised a couple of interesting points:

- Does Guernsey have a closed season for bass, or is this a proposal?

- I thought French boats could fish in Jersey waters? Not that I support this.

- Does anyone have a reasonably succint on the proposals that will affect CI fishing?

Cheers

G

B.A.S.S. member

I'm a bate late on this one too but here's My Tuppence, no I didnt attend the recent meeting at the museum but I got stopped the other day by a fisheries officer for a checkover.

We had a really good chat about the current situation what with the possible introduction of Bass bag limits, licensing,EU rules and regulations in fact all the politics b0llocks including the fact that the French are allowed to fish in our waters but not the Guernsey fishermen.

Most of which I agree with especially if it helps preserve stocks and pay for the fisheries to take a more active stance, but to allow the french to fish and not our fellow channel islanders in our waters is a downright disgrace, nevermind this bay of Granville political lets kiss frenchies ass claptrap even if the new regulations on mesh sizes etc are helping their heavy gear will slowely but surely rape our stocks what next the Spanish who I hasten to add take anything that moves, wheres Sir Francis Drake when you need him.

Sorry if any of you are offended by this post but the current situation makes my blood boil.

[ 29. June 2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Grant,

saveourbass.com is proposing a close season here in guernsey and has proposed to Jersey Sea Fisheries that you do the same.

we also propose a recreational bag limit of 2 bass per 24 hours per angler & a new criminal offence of buying unlicensed fish.

surprisingly your SFC was quite sympathetic ( as ours is to be fair) but pointed out that none of your politicians had taken up the issue and there has been no real public debate. Hence they were powerless to act until directed to by your senator (?)

mark.