needles 7-12-08

richi

Woke up to frost everywhere,for once the new forest did look like Lapland :rolleyes::D

Arrived at Keyhaven and eventually got ready for launch expecting a cold one.

IMGP0366.jpg

It was superbly flat and it was a pleasure paddling across watching the sun and it's effect on the scenery

IMGP0367-2.jpg

Hurst Castle looking majestic

Approaching the Needles heard Ron Bundy on the VHF,he reported to his mate that he'd had Whiting aboard came out with a typical Ron classic"there must be 40 boats out here and they are all in the wrong spot" ;Dthen went on in a solemn voice to say that he'd been reading all about the diahorrea etc. that was becoming more and more commonplace in the hospitals.He said to his mate"did you know that diahorrea was hereditory",his mate said "No"to which Ron replied "It runs in the genes"----------------I nearly fell out the bloody yak laughing :D:D:D

Anyway,threaded the Needles and counted 47 boats,me making 48-------Picadilly circus

IMGP0370.jpg

IMGP0371-1.jpg

IMGP0372-1.jpg

but none of them were on my inshore spot :D

IMGP0373.jpg

Couldn't believe how warm it was in the sun,very little wind.

During the slack water period bites were scarce all I managed during this period was a doggie that spat the hook at the surface.

As the tide began to build(ended up with 1lb of weight on one rod and 12oz on the other)it picked up.

First fish to the yak really put a smile on my face,another species for the yearly tally a beautiful Spotted Ray B)

Caught

IMGP0374-1.jpg

Unhooked

IMGP0375.jpg

And released

IMGP0376.jpg

Next fish was Whiting,most of them were around this size

IMGP0377.jpg

then the good old doggies put in an appearance :angry:

IMGP0378.jpg

Sadly the Cod didn't put in an appearance,maybe partly due to the 5 bloody trawlers that were there yesterday,but that's the way it goes,some of the boats had the odd one still though ;)

Up anchored ready to paddle back with the sunset with the aid of the flooding tide,no Cod but a happy bunny with the new species and a wonderful winters day on the water

IMGP0379.jpg

IMGP0386-3.jpg

IMGP0390.jpg

Can't wait to get back out there B)

Edit: heard Ron Bundy later on in the day saying that one of his punters had caught one around 30lb and I just dismissed it as a joke............................................................................

................................................................................

................................................................................

just found out it is true 35lb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucky fellow

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph