Who'll give me 2lb for this?

Mister Toad

I caught this roach yesterday during a short session on the Wandle. At least, I'm pretty certain it's a roach - it's definitely not a chub and I doubt it's a hybrid. I've printed out the picture and based on the size of the net (25-inches along each side) I estimate the length to be about 13-inches or so.

It's far and away the biggest roach I've ever caught. It's particularly satisfying because I've blanked on all my other recent visits to the Wandle in search of my first barbel. I caught it in an eddy on the far side of the river and then had to bring it back across the fast water. I could hardly hold the net against the flow and was scared all the time that something would give way.

post-4763-1228762267_thumb.jpg

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

Two pounds for a thirteen inch roach, that's dear!

A thirteen inch (overall length) roach is usually just over the pound. This looks a nice fat one, so perhaps a couple of ounces over that.

You have a nice fish there, but for a two-pounder you will be looking at 15" plus.

....but is it a true roach ? Deep body, dorsal fin seems set well back, crimson lower fins and tail. No doubt the usual lively discussion will ensue.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yep, agree with Dave, about 1lb 4oz :) What I call "a nice fistfull" Lovely fish, especially from the Wandle, I bet that fish has had a struggle to survive at times. Tuck that away in your memory bank and treasure it Mr Toad :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Looks like it might have a bit of rudd in there but then again, I've had some very pure roach that have near bream-like body shapes. Lovely fish all the same..... ;)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Inches lbs ozs

8 0 4 ½

9 0 8

10 0 13 ½

11 1 2

12 1 3 ¼

13 1 8 ½

14 1 14 ¾

15 2 5 ½

16 2 14

17 3 7

This is a scale that has worked for me in the past for Roach. :thumbs:

Very nice fish from the Wandle, what stretch if you don't mind me asking.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Inches lbs ozs

8 0 4 ½

9 0 8

10 0 13 ½

11 1 2

12 1 3 ¼

13 1 8 ½

14 1 14 ¾

15 2 5 ½

16 2 14

17 3 7

This is a scale that has worked for me in the past for Roach. :thumbs:

Very nice fish from the Wandle, what stretch if you don't mind me asking.

It was along Maynooth Gardens next to the Mitcham RUFC ground.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.