Building a storage yak rack

roccoyak

I'd like to build a free standing, floor mounted, rack to store two Prowler 13s upside down at home, one above the other, built probably from 4" by 2" framing and ideally with rollers on a pair of lateral bearers. Anyone got ideas on how best to construct the rollers, please? The idea is to save my back by parking close to the rack, taking the boat off the car roof and putting one end of the yak onto the rollers, and letting the rollers then take the strain, so they need to be on a steel core or something strong enough to take a Prowler's weight. Suppose it would be easier to store them upright as they will roll more easily; trouble is then they get full of dirt and rubbish from weeks of rain etc. The dirt takes ages to shift because of the texture of the plastic surface of the yak.

My wife helpfully suggested putting fifteen snooker or pool balls on a steel bar :clap:

Seem to remember seeing only one homemade rack on here before, but could be wrong.

See if there are any factorys closing down near you.Then ask if they have any roller racking/tables(the ones that are used on assembly lines),Somebody on anglers afloat made there own boat shed with roller racking inside.

Cant remember how long ago that was though

zzippy2.gif

Clanforbes on anglers afloat was giving rollers away a while ago---I'll bet he's still got some

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Thanks guys, so far; certainly food for thought :)

"How about using cut to fit scaffold tubing fitted over a length of steel pipe or something?" Not sure Mike about metal on metal; cheap yup, but doubt whether it will roll easily. Think I prefer the idea of nylon or plastic rollers or anything with a ball race.

Really like the sound of conveyor belt type rollers. Sometimes you see them at airport check in points or security checkpoints. Problem is finding them; not many factories here in industry starved Jersey, but will try the freight companies who are regulars on our ferries. Those guys often have neat ways of shifting goods horizontally. Perhaps have a Google on "conveyor belts" next.

Another daft suggestion from the female management here: table napkin rings threaded onto a steel bar. Trouble is it's not as daft as I first thought B) Could be cheap, corrosion proof, quiet and affordable.. Just need to find a store which has about sixty rings in stock!! :unsure:

Evenin; all ..... I used to used the yellow polypropylene pipe cut in half as beach sliders when launching and recovering my boat. I guess there is no reason why not to use it on some kind of frame to help. I got mine by asking some groundworkers who were laying the pipe for a couple of 'off cuts' - no worries.