Cumbria’s first festival of fishing – ‘Go Fishing, The Lake District’ – week commencing Sat May 16th 2009

davestocker

Anglers from around the UK are invited to visit and sample the fishing that Cumbria has to offer, for a week in mid-May next year. Cumbria Tourism, the Environment Agency, the county’s biggest angling club (Windermere, Ambleside and District AA), and myself, have been exploring what we could do to flag up the county’s angling resource and get people up here to sample it.

In mid-May trout fishing should be approaching its peak, but we’ve also got a lot of pike that will be piling on weight after spawning, so flyfishers for trout (and pike) and lure anglers after pike will be our main target audience. We’ll be putting on a programme of masterclasses, workshops, beginners events, fishery tours and so on. What this won’t be is a country fair, in one fixed location – we want folk to put themselves about and see just what fabulous waters we have up here and fish them. With an economic downturn here, a predominantly rural economy that depends on tourism, like Cumbria has, can do with all the help it can get.

A festival of this kind will provide an opportunity for members of forums like this to get together and participate, and it would be great to see lots of you guys come up here. Date is the week commencing 16th May 2009. We’ve not yet got a website up, but any indications of early interest should be sent to gofishinglakedistrict@googlemail.com. We’ll email back and make further posts as things start moving.

You aren't the first person to ask. The EA are fine about it. BUT I'm keen to encourage lure/fly fishing only at this time of year. Seems that the post-spawning feed-up creates some very hungry fish, and that deep hooking can readily occur if deadbaits are used. The water temperatures in mid-May will not be as high as in midsummer, when the fish can experience stress if played in water with a low-oxygen content.

Anglers from around the UK are invited to visit and sample the fishing that Cumbria has to offer, for a week in mid-May next year. Cumbria Tourism, the Environment Agency, the county’s biggest angling club (Windermere, Ambleside and District AA), and myself, have been exploring what we could do to flag up the county’s angling resource and get people up here to sample it.

In mid-May trout fishing should be approaching its peak, but we’ve also got a lot of pike that will be piling on weight after spawning, so flyfishers for trout (and pike) and lure anglers after pike will be our main target audience. We’ll be putting on a programme of masterclasses, workshops, beginners events, fishery tours and so on. What this won’t be is a country fair, in one fixed location – we want folk to put themselves about and see just what fabulous waters we have up here and fish them. With an economic downturn here, a predominantly rural economy that depends on tourism, like Cumbria has, can do with all the help it can get.

A festival of this kind will provide an opportunity for members of forums like this to get together and participate, and it would be great to see lots of you guys come up here. Date is the week commencing 16th May 2009. We’ve not yet got a website up, but any indications of early interest should be sent to gofishinglakedistrict@googlemail.com. We’ll email back and make further posts as things start moving.

Have a look on here.

For Windermere, for example, see halfway down this page:

http://www.sodointernet.co.uk/phpwebsite/i..._position=271:5

You can basically split the regulations into two - those relating to pike fishing and those relating to other coarse fishing.

The main thing to consider when pike fishing is that only saltwater dead baits are permitted when bait fishing for pike. No freshwater baits whatsoever can be used and this obviously rules out all livebaiting. Lamprey is classes as a saltwater deadbait. You can pike fish on Windermere all year round as long as this regulation is complied with.

Windermere is not an enclosed water and EA Byelaws restrict the baits that can be used on Windermere between 15th March and 15th June. The only permitted baits are fly, lure, spinner, worm and saltwater deadbaits. Groundbaiting is not permitted during this period which basically rules out roach fishing at this time.

• 1 month later...

Oh no! WADDA sticking their oar in again, keep the tourists in your own side of the county, don't bring 'em over Dunmail raise (the pill box is still there, and the road can be covered by machine gun fire). We should have thought of that when they 'stole' Thirlmere.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Emma just consider yourself very lucky that the lune/ derwent/Rathay/Greta etc haven't got any barbel in them .......................YET!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Emma just consider yourself very lucky that the lune/ derwent/Rathay/Greta etc haven't got any barbel in them .......................YET!

It wouldn't impact upon my fishing if those rivers did have Barbel in them. I have,and occasionally do fish the Derwent (and Cocker), as I am fortunate to get invites onto some good beats. There is little of the river which is fishable without first parting with a whole lot of dosh. Enthusiastic Barbel anglers could put thier names down on the waiting lists and pay the same as Salmon anglers do, and once established be expected to keep moving down thier allotted beats, but unless they are prepared to put enough cash into it to outweigh that of the estates and Salmon syndicates, then I can't see it happening. I can't even see 'em being allowed on during the close season for game fish (winter), which so far as I understand isn't the prime time for Barbel. There are Chub Dace, a few Roach and pike in the river, but it shows no sign at all of becoming a course, or even a mixed fishery.

Most of my fishing is still water (the lakes), I did set out fishing on the rivers when they were still worth it for trout. Until United Utilities handed the fishing on Thirlmere to WADDA a small group of us had focussed on that water, and were reaping the rewards for our efforts. I can't fish it now, after a conversation shortly after the handover the WADDA maintain that I can't use my boat on it anymore. I am disabled to the pint where I can only row to get myself out of trouble, and apparently my electric motor damages the environment. It may be the biggest angling association in the county, but that doesnt mean we all benefit from that.

Is the 'festval' website up yet? and if not can you say where is it likley to impact upon us?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I'm fortunate that I can fish the Isle estate fishings on the Derwent with one of my clubs and some sections of the Lune and Eden with others.But to be honest I tend to prefer Dry fly in the upper reaches of the Yorkshire rivers i.e. the Aire and Ure.

Quite frankly you tend to be less pestered by Grockles that side of the border.

Too much of the Lake district has been converted to being Blackpool with 'O' levels

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

It's interesting that you state a preference for dry fly fishing for Trout, and that you fish Isel Hall, have you spoken to the estate manger Nigel Harris? who is an especially accomplished Trout fisher, who maintains that the dry fly is the only way to fish for them, and will argue quite strongly that anything else one does with a fly rod isn't 'fly fishing' at all, and that Salmon are pests attracting vermin in the form of poachers and anglers who clog up the river by fishing for them. Nigel tends to rub some people up the wrong way, but is an interesting character non the less. I used to have a gun on the estate shoot, and that as well as working for the (then) NRA, got thre odd day fishing too, I liked the right bank beat just under the hall (the bend).

I have fished the upper Ure too, and more recently parts of the Swale which came under the MOD land management. These days I dont travel so well and any area which requires much walking isn't an option, so I fish the western lakes gaining mobility from my boat. I generally don't get bothered by anyone, 'Grockle' or otherwise and I find that to be bliss. Which brings me to why I commented upon this proposed 'festival', perhaps I am being selfish, but is there a real need to attract yet more people to our already tourist bombarded land, as you point out...

Too much of the Lake district has been converted to being Blackpool with 'O' levels

So what is the purpose of attracting more, this time rod wielding visitors? of course I understand that tourism is crucial to the regions economy, but why is WADDA so interested in opening up our charms? are there ice cream sellers and anorak hawkers on the committe who are feeling the financial pinch?

Our lakes are not secret, information on them is easily found and the M6 and A66 makes them readily accessable, if folk want to come and have a go then of course they should, but just as Wainright encouraged the masses to wear down our fells by trampling across them all year round (they mountain bike too now) do we need to sell our water resources in the same way?

Is this thing going to really happen anyway? I followed the link to it put any reference to it brings one back to here, and its' supposedly happening in 3 and a half months, people who are encumbered by regular full time employment tell me that one is under pressure these days to book the years holidays before January is out. Any further information, via this forum if neccessary would be appreciated, and please tell me it's going to be confined to WADDA controlled waters, or should I be considering spending the second half of May on the Shropshire meres?

Edited by Emma two