Saturday 14th

Alan Stubbs

I made a trip to Pennington Flash on Saturday and fished the Brook.

Usually, I decide in advance what I want to catch and go prepared, but as the decision to go was made only after catching the late night weather forecast on Friday, I really was a little confused as to what to go for. The previous week, I'd caught roach from there, and a few more would do the confidence a bit of good.....

On Saturday, I took maggot, bread, sweetcorn, worm and cheese paste.

I started by feeding a few maggots every 15 - 20 seconds for 5 minutes and then trotting for some roach. I then left Bernadette and Sarah fishing that swim for the roach with the maggot whilst I moved a little further upstream and fed some bread mash followed by bread flake as hook bait, to see if I could attract either chub or bream.

What happened? Well, not for the first time, I got 2 small minnows, followed by a couple of chub of around 1lb each, on the bread, but nothing when I tried cheese paste.

Just for the hell of it, I switched bait to worm and got hammered by small perch - some of the worms were longer than the fish!

The girls managed a couple of roach apiece and all in all a really enjoyable time was had by the three of us. Even Sarah remained tangle-free the entire session.

I don't know what it is about the area, possibly the preponderance of match angling, but when people ask you why you're fishing certain tactics and you tell them the species your'e looking for, they seem amazed that you're not chasing bream on the pole.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than Matt, Carl and I managed when piking on the Medway on Saturday; Matt and Carl had a dropped run a piece and nothing at all for me.

The river looked perfect and we had roach topping in our swims, so the pike must have been nearby but they where just not taking confidently.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

im getting worse with tangles!!! :)

went to hit a run and the line went flying off the baitrunner which created a big tangle.

To be fair to Matt it was the first time he had used baitrunners and I managed to sort out the tangle, we just dropped the fish, which has to be better than risking deep hooking it.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I made a trip to Pennington Flash on Saturday and fished the Brook.

Usually, I decide in advance what I want to catch and go prepared, but as the decision to go was made only after catching the late night weather forecast on Friday, I really was a little confused as to what to go for. The previous week, I'd caught roach from there, and a few more would do the confidence a bit of good.....

On Saturday, I took maggot, bread, sweetcorn, worm and cheese paste.

I started by feeding a few maggots every 15 - 20 seconds for 5 minutes and then trotting for some roach. I then left Bernadette and Sarah fishing that swim for the roach with the maggot whilst I moved a little further upstream and fed some bread mash followed by bread flake as hook bait, to see if I could attract either chub or bream.

What happened? Well, not for the first time, I got 2 small minnows, followed by a couple of chub of around 1lb each, on the bread, but nothing when I tried cheese paste.

Just for the hell of it, I switched bait to worm and got hammered by small perch - some of the worms were longer than the fish!

The girls managed a couple of roach apiece and all in all a really enjoyable time was had by the three of us. Even Sarah remained tangle-free the entire session.

I don't know what it is about the area, possibly the preponderance of match angling, but when people ask you why you're fishing certain tactics and you tell them the species your'e looking for, they seem amazed that you're not chasing bream on the pole.

Obviously your into using your pin, have you tried the river Dougie between Appley bridge and the Navigation pub?

A few of my friends fish it and wreckon they are getting some really good bags of roach,chub etc.

I think it's supposed to be fishing well at the Rufford stretch also. I've heard it's fishin well behind the Asda in Wigan town centre.

Tigger.

Glad you had a good time on Saturday Alan, same with Tony and Carl for a great day out.

Hopefully out again with Carl Piking along the same stretch on saturday so fingers crossed this time.

Hope to make it to Liverpool and fish with you Alan, should be a fun weekend.

Matt

Hia's All

I've heard it's fishin well behind the Asda in Wigan town centre.

Tigger.

Ahhhh! A line stolen from Crabtree ;)

Rappit why are you using part of my post as your signature?

Rappit please stop stalking me "i've already told you i'm not that way inclined" :headhurt:

I know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but can you keep your gay tendencies to yourself. :yucky:

Edited by tigger

Obviously your into using your pin, have you tried the river Dougie between Appley bridge and the Navigation pub?

A few of my friends fish it and wreckon they are getting some really good bags of roach,chub etc.

I think it's supposed to be fishing well at the Rufford stretch also. I've heard it's fishin well behind the Asda in Wigan town centre.

Tigger.

Well, Leon has a lot to answer for with regards to me using my 'pin!

Your comments about the Douglas bear out exactly what Frank and Matt in NWAC said when I went there after work last thursday. I'll have a pop this weekend (the weather is supposed to be favourable!)

I can confirm the Rufford stretch is fishing really well, as is the canal by RUfford Hall (although a pole would be better than a rod for that stretch!). A mate is a member of the local club and told me to try it.

Since moving to Liverpool, I have to say that I've learned the local geography through fishing!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Well, Leon has a lot to answer for with regards to me using my 'pin!

Your comments about the Douglas bear out exactly what Frank and Matt in NWAC said when I went there after work last thursday. I'll have a pop this weekend (the weather is supposed to be favourable!)

I can confirm the Rufford stretch is fishing really well, as is the canal by RUfford Hall (although a pole would be better than a rod for that stretch!). A mate is a member of the local club and told me to try it.

Since moving to Liverpool, I have to say that I've learned the local geography through fishing!

There's a excellent stretch on the canal in Burscough near the Ship Hotel. I used to do a lot of spinning down there and got loads of perch and pike. If you like float fishing then it's brill for roach and bream also. I know the stretch at Rufford old Hall very well and used to fish the other side of the bridge until they built "that marina" the swines have ruined a fantastic spot. I don't know if you've seen the little pond next top the train station at Rufford but i used to get some cracking Rudd in there some over 1lb. I know it was bought and i think you have to pay daily now. Southport sluice's are only up the road from there and they were a hot spot for some good fishing. The clay pit in Billinge is a good venue and it's never had any hammer. Alan if you like i can tell you loads of waters round those areas.

Cheers

Tigger.