Hook link

Quest

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Josh Iddon

It should be lower but most people dont, I always have a hooklink lower B/S than the mainline. I dont think that the rig is unsafe or anything like that if the hooklink is stronger than the mainline, I just see no reason to use a stronger link unless I have a proper reason too. Josh :)

Should the hook link be a higher lb than the main line or the other way round?

Thanks

Quest.

try finding a decent hooklink material that has a low breaking strain!!!!!! i use korda hybrid quality stuff....if all rig componants are set up right then nothing can go wrong

try finding a decent hooklink material that has a low breaking strain!!!!!!

Scoop I dont understand this comment about materials please explain it.

I personally always use a lower BS hook length when possible as it to me is the fundemental part of a safe rig.ie the hook length should break before the main line.Obviously we dont want anything to break! but mishaps do happen.

Some times however you cant stick to this rule ie when piking my wiretraces by their very nature have a higer BS than standard 15lb mono.(I no longer have this problem as I use braided mainlines) The same was much the case with catfish hook lengths.before braided mainlines my hook lengths were often of a higher BS.Both cases though were because of the need for the hooklength to be safe against the abbrassion of teeth/pads.

The only times I see a need(in fact not a need but an excuse for) for using higher BS hooklengths is very similar such as when you are choosing a material because of its properties rather than BS (eg stiff link).When using this sort of rig though you need to look at other ways of making it safe.

I see absolutely no need to use a 25lb HPPE type hook length material with a 15lb main line when a 12lb would be available.

At face value I dont understand Scoops comment as Ive used many sub 15lb HPPE hook lengths and had no problems.

NOTE: I refer to braided hook length materials by there proper name (High Performance Polypropalene Extrusion?) so not to confuse them with braided matirials that are intended as main lines.These in my opinion shouldnt be used in general as hook lengths.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

the hooklinks i use are armalead which you can only get in 20lb....korda hybrid 15lb is the lowest...snakebite again15lb....esp stiff rig bristle 15lb....suffix stealth skin 15lb......now can you see the point i was trying to get across....yeah i know wot you mean but when trying to get a perfect presentation you need to use the best materials you can get hold of....the above is mainly wot i use but occasionly i'll use korda IQ which i can get hold of in a lower breaking strain...its somethin the manufactures need to look at as i kno wot your saying but the main thing about a safe rig is the fish beng able to get rid of the lead and ther is no excuse for that not happening now with all the quality lead clips ect avalible.....

Guest Josh Iddon

I normally use 12lb Prologic XLNT camo mono when fishing boilies or like jeepster uses a short kryston merlin hooklength when fishing particles, I rarely use any different materials unless like BUDGIE said there are catfish present. Josh :)

EDIT> Im also starting to use the new ESP strip teaze which is quite good, though it can lose its colour easy.

Edited by Josh Iddon

ESP strip teaze which is quite good, though it can lose its colour easy.

you say that like it's a bad thing, i can see many advantages, when my powerpro loses it's colour i much prefer it

Yes see what your saying scoop.I prefer to keep the BS as I want them by using materials that are available in them.If I need a specific presentation such as you get wit one of the coated braids stripped for a few inchs by the hook I will make up a "combi link" instead.All the materials you mention are just more conveniant to use to make up rigs that can be made with more conventional matrials.Takes a bit longer but for me its worth it.

As Jeepster says I to have never had a problem with Merlin in the lower BS.

But each to there own.I supose people could argue it is irelavant if the hook length breaks and leaves the hook plus a bit of hook length or wether a "safe" rig that dumps the lead. I however feel that with the aproach I advocate you are only going to get the hook plus a few inchs of braid left trailing where with a higher BS hook length and "safe" rig you could be left with the fish trailing a lot longer length of line plus hook,swivel,lead clip,tubing/leadcore etc.

For example you get snagged by a fish and pull for a break (god forbid but it can happen) my way you will hopefully still just have the hook and short length of braid,with a higher BS braid you could have the main line break many many yards from the hook?Just something to think about.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I do not understand,Stiff,limp.braided,etc,etc,etc,

Should we have our weak point at the hook length or not.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.