Wingham Fish-In Fri May 19th to Sun May 21st

Steve Burke

I’m now taking bookings for the Wingham Fish-In, that both Newt and Jan will be attending as guests of honour. Wingham is a syndicate water that, apart from the annual AN Fish-In, is open to members only. However, please note that the only way to book a place is to e-mail me at fishingbooks@uk2.net

As many of you will know there's a chance of breaking the bream record at Wingham. We had one of 17-14 two years ago, and as this fish was less than 12 years old it has several years of growth ahead of it! It will now almost certainly be over the record. You can read more details about the catch at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...wtopic=1655&hl=

Stop Press Wingham has just thrown up an even bigger bream, one of 18-06. For further details see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=62336

At last year’s Fish-In we had tench to 8-08 and perch to 3-09. The fish are still growing and there's the prospect of 10lb+ tench and 4lb+ perch. You can read more about last year's Fish-in at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...owtopic=237&hl=

You can click on the link on my signature at the bottom of this post to see how things have gone since then, and also more about the complex. I'll be sending Elton an update very shortly, but there's some recent news at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=61641

Who can come? Anyone who's reading this! However, although the venue is 40 acres, places will be limited. If necessary priority will be given to those who haven't been before. Otherwise it'll be first come, first served. Non-fishing guests are welcome, but please don't wear bright clothing!

What's the cost to fish? Nothing! It's both a thank you to Elton for hosting the Wingham web site, and also a chance to meet friends from the Forum. However you’re welcome to put something in the bailiff’s box in the clubhouse. They’ve worked their socks off getting everything ready and will be working again all through the weekend.

Where is Wingham? On a nature reserve in the middle of nowhere near Canterbury, Kent. The loudest noise is normally birdsong! Detailed directions will be sent to those attending.

When is the venue open? This year will be a 3 day event with the fishery open from 9am Friday to 9pm Sunday. However, please don’t arrive after 9pm.

Lunchtime BBQs Every lunchtime they'll be a BBQ. The cost is £2.50 which MUST be booked in advance. Please let us know if you’re vegetarian.

Which lake can I fish? Normally the Fish-In is on the Coarse Lake only, which is 40 acres and contains most species. However this year if we’re full up I may allow up to 5 lucky anglers to fish the 15 acre Carp Lake. This has recently produced its first 40lb common.

Can I bivvy up and fish overnight? Yes. You can also sleep in the clubhouse that’s just been re-wired and that has a new kitchen, plus toilets and a shower. Alternatively you can kip in the car park. Accommodation can also be arranged nearby.

What restrictions are there? No keepnets or nuts are permitted, neither are fishbaits. Also no barbless hooks above size 10 are allowed. In these larger sizes please use barbed, preferably micro-barbed hooks. 3 rods are permitted. Full rules will be sent nearer the time.

What about lure fishing? My syndicate members aren’t allowed to lure fish and so it wouldn’t be fair to allow lures on the Fish-In. However, I hope to arrange that Newt and Jan can do a lure fishing demonstration somewhere on the complex.

What tackle should I bring? The venue is very little fished and therefore the fish aren't tackle shy. With the very high average weights a minimum of 5lb line and preferably stronger is recommended. If fishing boilies please use line with a minimum diameter of .34mm (12 to 15lb depending on the make/type) as you may hook a monster carp!

I'd strongly suggest that if you’re after bream you should have heavy bobbins on at least an 18inch drop otherwise you’ll strike at line bites and spook them! You’ll therefore need your rods up high, and so longish bank sticks are recommended.

What baits would you recommend? All common baits catch such as worm, maggots and corn, but remember the lake is very little fished and so unusual baits aren't likely to work so well as you can't pre-bait. Above all, do make sure you have worms, preferably lobs. I can order lobs, dendras or redworms for you from the local shop if given advance notice (the Tuesday before the event at the very latest). The cost is only £5 per quarter kilo.

What are the best tactics? The most important requirement is to keep quiet and still (no bright clothing!) as, although the fish aren't tackle or bait shy, they’re very easily spooked due to the lack of fishing pressure. Normally if there’s more than 2 anglers on the 40 acres it’s crowded!

The fish have definite patrol routes and they aren't likely to move off these routes. This is because of the huge amount of natural food - Wingham's the only water I know where your feeders come back covered not only with snails but snail's eggs, whilst Gaffer reckons any weed you retrieve crawls back in! So the best advice I can give you is to thoroughly plumb the swim and fish the margins as most of these are on patrol routes. Bear in mind though that most of the swims are deep, typically with 10 feet at the bottom of the marginal shelf. So if you're float fishing I'd suggest a slider.

Another reason for fishing at close range is that Wingham is a mass of bars, humps, plateaux etc., and so casting and feeding accurately is a must. If you're just a couple of yards astray you could be fishing in 12 inches of water instead of 12 feet!

In fact, nearly all the fish from the Coarse Lake, including bream, have come in the margins.

They'll be a series of aerial photos on view in the clubhouse, and I'll also point out hotspots in each known swim for those who'd like this info. However, some of the swims have no form as they've been fished on only a handful of occasions!

You'll also find more questions and answers from last year at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...wtopic=4999&hl=

What can I expect to catch? Wingham is very unlike the artificially overstocked waters that many of you are used to. It's very much a big fish water, so although you're not likely to catch lots of fish (and may well blank) you've every chance of specimens, especially tench and perch, not to mention record bream! For further details click on the link on my signature at the end of this post.

How do I book? By E-mailing me at fishingbooks@uk2.net (not by PM nor by leaving a message here please). Once you've booked I'll send you some questions about your preferences, and also ask whether you want BBQs and/or bait. Please do answer these questions in full as they'll also help me give each of you the kind of swim you want.

Talking of questions, you're welcome to ask them here as others may find the answers helpful.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve We will come down Sunday to pick up Newt and Jan - arriving late morning, so please book us in for a couple of BBQ meals. Definitely NOT vegetarian - in fact extra hamburgers, spare ribs, chops and sausages are our special dietary requirements :D :D

Norma will be birdwatching, (listen for the Cetti's warblers folks - they get more numerous there every year) and I will just wander around with a camera - there is obviously gonna be a lotta fishing pressure, so I will not add to it.

I take it you, Steve will bring ALL Newt's/Jan's gear to Wingham in your Volvo, so it can be transferred to our car there.

See you soon folks.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Steve We will come down Sunday to pick up Newt and Jan - arriving late morning, so please book us in for a couple of BBQ meals. Definitely NOT vegetarian - in fact extra hamburgers, spare ribs, chops and sausages are our special dietary requirements :D :D

Norma will be birdwatching, (listen for the Cetti's warblers folks - they get more numerous there every year) and I will just wander around with a camera - there is obviously gonna be a lotta fishing pressure, so I will not add to it.

I take it you, Steve will bring ALL Newt's/Jan's gear to Wingham in your Volvo, so it can be transferred to our car there.

See you soon folks.

BBQs booked.

Cetti's warblers seem to be everywhere this year. There's also been 2 separate sightings of a spoonbill at Wingham in recent weeks.

Yes, I'll be bringing all Newt and Jan's gear/luggage with me on Sunday.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Cetti's warblers seem to be everywhere this year. There's also been 2 separate sightings of a spoonbill at Wingham in recent weeks.

What's the best bait for them? ;)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

What's the best bait for them? ;)

Spoons! <_<

Please note that I send anyone wanting to come some questions to answer. Thus you needn't book BBQs or bait to begin with. Please do answer these questions in full as they'll also help me give each of you the kind of swim that you want.

I'll add the above to my first post to help those who haven't booked yet.

Guest Ferret1959

Steve, Yasmin and me are planning on a visitor/spectator day, not got time to stay and fish due to Yas's stupid work hours. :)

Is that ok?

Cheers.