Spinning rod advice please

*Ant*

I'm looking at getting a new spinning/lure rod, but as spinning is not what I do alot of and it's not really something i'm clued up on, I am seeking advice.

Just really want a rod that I can keep on standby for the occasional play but would also like it to be suitable for the odd trip to the coast for a spot of spinning off the rocks.

I'm a tad confused with the different weight ratings and lengths of the rods and was wondering if there is a weight/length that would act as an all-rounder so-to-speak?

Edited by *Ant*

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
I'm looking at getting a new spinning/lure rod, but as spinning is not what I do alot of and it's not really something i'm clued up on, I am seeking advice.

Just really want a rod that I can keep on standby for the occasional play but would also like it to be suitable for the odd trip to the coast for a spot of spinning off the rocks.

I'm a tad confused with the different weight ratings and lengths of the rods and was wondering if there is a weight/length that would act as an all-rounder so-to-speak?

Greys have a good selection and there reasonabley priced. I have a 11ft greyflex which is sound for fresh or seawater alike. It's rated to cast 10 to 40grm comfortabley but I reckon would cast to 60grm without any probs.

Edited by tigger

Have a look at this site http://www.dlst.co.uk and have a look through his rod sections. It's Dave Lumbs site a fellow poster on here and they're cracking rods built on Harrison blanks. Rods can be rung for fixed spool or multiplier but for what you want I would suggest fixed spool for all round versatility.

You should decide on the required length though as that differs accordin to the individual and also to what use you intend to put the rod to. For all round use you won't be wanting to cast much more than about 2.5 ounces(70 grammes) and you might find that a tad heavy for most use. For most river work about 15/30 grammes should be sufficient for casting plugs lures and spinners. To give an example the Shakespeare Big S weighs in at 18 grammes and that takes more than its fair share of fish over a season.

As for rod length , well I would'nt go much over 9ft, 10ft at a push but preferably about 7 as its ideal for casting in and under and through trees when plugging for pike.

If you're intending it to use for light sea work then you may have to compromise a little both on length and casting weight and also bear in mind which (sea or coarse) will see the most action.

As I say have a look at Daves site as it not only describes the rod it also gives the action and the casting weight as well. I have to confess to owning three of his rods and there are a number of fellow posters who also have a number as well

Speaking of which where are you Argyll (Gerry) you are noticable by your absence and your input here would be most welcome

Speaking of which where are you Argyll (Gerry) you are noticable by your absence and your input here would be most welcome

He's not been well, clicky hope he's doing OK now

i picked up a abu 152 zoom at a boot fair now i have to buy one of those strange american baitcasters as it has a crank handle (speedlock) which makes ordinary reels point towards the blank rather than the rings :huh: ,well maybe a swedish baitcaster anyway ,looks ideal for pike i use heavier (but just as old) abu's 402 or 483's for sea spinning luckily they take real reels :D

i like abu's :thumbs:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ant - I have used several rods in This series and they are excellent rods for not much money. At the current exchange rate you are looking at about 42 GBP for the rod so even with shipping it won't be bad.

There are a few of them rated for pike and they will do nicely for light salt water sessions as well. They are short by UK standards but a 7ft rod works nicely for lures.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Basspro rods and reels can be bought direct from the UK agent who is http://www.luremania.co.uk.

Good site for all lure enthusiasts and a good selection of everything, also sells the highly rated Toughline XP braid

Edited by Brian Carragher

For a general lure rod, and one that is not going to put you off lures for life, I would go for a 7', maybe 8' max length rod designed for lure weights 10 to 25gms. The windage of a long rod can make repeated casting a chore. I fish the open sea with a six footer and seem to do okay! Trouble with spinning rods is what suits one man may not suit another. Personally I find that the advantages of a longer rod are outweighed by the disadvantages. 7' is a good compromise.

Its worth searching through the archives. Here's one such article:-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...l=Spinning+rods

Edited by Peter Waller