First Digi SLR

GB

Hi All

My missus has just told me to choose a digitial slr for my birthday. This will be my first dslr.

I went to jessops and had a look at the cannon EOS 400D with an 18-55 lens and also the EOS 350D with an 18-55 and a 55-200 plus a battery grip.

Question is I am a novice and would like advice and thoughts on both models.

The 400 has an extra 2 megapixels, is this really that important?

The 350 has the battery grip and an extra lens, are these items that important.

If I chose the 400 I would probably spend the money saved on another lens at a later date.

Any advice welcome.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I use the 300D, an older version.

I would go for the 350D, the grip and extra lens. Sounds like an excellant starter pack to me.

I don't think megapixels are that important, depends on what you are using the pics for.

Have a look at the camera features, they to me are more important, and will you/can you make use of them, either now or in the future.

Best of luck, and keep us informed, but post some shots and keep asking questions, its the only way to learn.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

I use the 300D, an older version.

I would go for the 350D, the grip and extra lens. Sounds like an excellant starter pack to me.

I don't think megapixels are that important, depends on what you are using the pics for.

Have a look at the camera features, they to me are more important, and will you/can you make use of them, either now or in the future.

Best of luck, and keep us informed, but post some shots and keep asking questions, its the only way to learn.

Thanks CM

I dont intend on making large prints so the megapixels are not that important to me.

As for the features I dont have a clue what to look for as I am still using standard manual slr at the moment.

GB

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Then just look for the features your used to, as most of these should be on the Canon EOS. Other features you can ask, experiment with, and if not happy delete, thats the great thing of digital.

Some things that you'll some be using are white balance, and ISO settings. But again try them, and ask questions.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

The 350 has the battery grip ........................, are these items that important.

Any advice welcome.

GB

I think it depends on the size of your hands.

I'm in the process of thinking about a DSLR myself and my internet wanderings suggest that the 350 can be awkward to hold if you have big hands, the grip would then become important.

Both cameras are very similar, and you will get great results from both, apart from the obvious increase in megapixels and a few other minor changes, its splitting hairs for differences - Ive been using Digital SLR for over 3 years now and the one thing that drives me crazy is dust on the sensor - the more you change lenses, the worse it can get ... the 400D goes down the road of trying to tackle this with its anti dust shake thingy ... so for me, anything that attempts to tackle this problem and reduces any dust at all ... that would swing it to the 400D for me.

Gillies

Edited by Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well after all the deliberation I have completely changed tack. After reading many reviews and comments on this forum I am getting the canon powershot S3IS as it will more than fulfill my needs, coupled with a waterproof casing it will be perfect for taking out on the kayak for photograpics trips.

I have also ordered the Pentax optio w10 for fishing from the yak as things can get a bit wet and wild whilst fishing.

Thanks for your advice.

GB

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Intresting........................

Gillies, is dust really a problem? I have read various comments on the problem of dust, and seen the many solutions now being offered on the photo sites. I think I counted 7 or 8 different manufacturers offering kits and cleaning fluids....all accompanied with dire warnings.

I have to admit that "being a scruffy old bugger" and tending to use my zoom and converter a lot (lots of lens changes on a DSLR) then I would tend to shy away from a DSLR simply because of "the dust problem" I get enough dust on my lenses now, without getting it on the sensor as well !

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den

Yes its a real problem with Digi SLRs ... if your changing lenses a lot, which I do ... in one day, I often change between 2-3 lenses.

The cleaning kids do work good, yes lots of warnings though as the sensor can easily be damaged, Im "very" surprised Ive not damaged a sensor on any of my Digi SLRs yet. Post Processing fixes any dust thats on the sensor that is visible when you look at your shots ... but is a real pain the backside.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com