Three eyed fish?!?! -Norfolk

Guest Bretty

Guest Bretty

Hmmm...heres one for you. I just got back from a couple of days fishing off caister with my girlfriend, anyway wilst not fishing on my last night there we walked along the sea wall and we both swear the crests of the waves were glowing? and every splash we saw was glowing a bright neon green (well my girlfriend said blue but i'll compromise on turquise). I dunno what was going on. there were like glowing spots everywhere and when we chucked sand and stones in really big patches would radiate this green light.

We thought maybe it was a trick of the light, sort of a UV effect caused by the diminishing light but nothing else glowed and i could not see the moon in the sky (i think it was behind cloud). We also thought it could have been a plankton or microscopic jellyfish. Upon wondering along the the coast the next morning a brown sort of muddy looking liquid seemed to be drifting in the tide(?). i don't know if this was the cause?

Does anyone know what this was? Has anyone seen this sorta thing before? Can anyone shed some light on this? Any idea?

I'd like to point out neither myself or my girlfriend use hallucinagenics or any intoxicants. And this is not a wind up!!

Cheers all!

Oh and if your wondering we only managed to catch a few small bass.

------------------

Brett

Guest BUDGIE

Don't worry mate the Springfield Nuclear Plant hasn't been discharging into the sea!DOH!

What you witnessed was a quite natural phenomenon called (I beleive)luminesence!As far as I know it is caused by billions of small luminous plankton being attracted to the surface by the moon.I have been on a ship in the Gulf and watched dolphins/porpoises swimming in towards the ship just under the water.They were coming to play in the wake caused by the ships bows but looked like some kind of lazer torpedo!

As I live near Dungeness power station in Kent I often hear visiting anglers worrying about this when out sea fishing.