- - - - -

Fishmeals in the winter?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gaffer_*

Guest_Gaffer_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2001 - 11:51 PM

I've recently read an article in which Lee Jackson was interviewed.
In the interview Lee (who I've got time for) commented that using Fishmeal boilies in the winter can ruin fishing for everyone else on the same water.

I'm possibly missing something obvious here, but why would it ruin others angling?

Is it because the fishmeal boilie will take longer for the fish to digest as opposed to other baits and in doing so won't want to eat anything else?

------------------
All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

#2 Guest_mpbdsnu_*

Guest_mpbdsnu_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2001 - 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Gaffer:
Is it because the fishmeal boilie will take longer for the fish to digest as opposed to other baits and in doing so won't want to eat anything else?

I cannot for the life of me think of any other reason gaffer!! Posted Image

Personally I would think all fish would be feeding proportionately less during the winter months anyway, and therefore, effect the feeding, ie, the chances of others catching, the same as during the summer months! If that makes any sense at all?? LOL Posted Image

#3 Guest_biteless1_*

Guest_biteless1_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2001 - 03:17 AM

hi,
does this mean that we should feed them "crap baits" in the colder months, also on this theme, would hnv baits would have the same effect as they could gain all there nutrition from a few baits before they need to eat again?
any ideas? arran

#4 Guest_RobStubbs_*

Guest_RobStubbs_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2001 - 01:54 PM

The only possible reason can be digestion problems. Fishmeals and oils can in theory be less digestible but for that to matter the fish would have to eat them all and in massive quantities (IMO). I will be using a fishmeal bait in the winter although it is predigested and low fat (no oil). Mind you with my fishing the only thing to eat my bait will be coots, ducks or nuisance fish Posted Image .

Rob.