KIR

Guest Elton

Can anyone explain to me, in clear, precise terms, what the Keep It Real campaign is all about?

I don't mean that in a bad way, but I just wondered how it is conveyed to:

a) Other anglers and

B) Non-anglers.

Is it an 'official' thing, or just a state of mind?

Cheers,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest peter mccue

Wordbender knows the score, this could be the start of a loooong thread.

I think it's best described as a state of mind based on the notion that there are two levels of carp fishing. However with the advent of ECHO I suppose it's almost official now.

1st level, fishing for 'English' Carp.

2nd level, fishing for foreign Carp.

As far as the kir boys are concerned only 'English' Carp carry any real merit.

Foreign Carp 'imports' to the hardliners simply don't count.

The problem is the definition of whats English & what isn't.

There is a nub of justification for the kir boys insomuch as a Carp thats grown from 2-3lb to 50lb in the same water has to be more desirable than a 50lb import stocked at that weight, but in a hard fished water with adequate stocks of food that 50lb foreigner will soon become as hard to catch as the 'English' 50.

Vastly over simplified I'm afraid, but so the argument starts!

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, I think the 'Keep It Real' term was started by Terry Hearn & Co. and later used by RMC Angling as 'Keeping It Real'.

AFAIK 'Keep It Real' was more of an awareness campaign to highlight the imports issue. In 'Keeping It Real' you would be fishing for British Carp(see below for definition) rather than a imported Carp.

It is generally accepted that a British Carp is one that has either natuarally spawned in or has been introduced to a water either as Fry or upto 10lbs (C1 to C4).

The worry is/was that some imported Carp (outside what is deemed a British Carp) were in reach of the British Record.

Also a lot of illegal Carp were making their way into the country to which the 'KIR' campaign totally opposed.

The 'KIR' campaign took it so far through Carp mags and then 'ECHO' have taken over with a more official stance spearheaded by Ian 'Chilly' Chilcott.

To get into ECHO I believe you have to be invited in after being vetted for suitability.

I don't know the 'official' spin on this, this is just my view based on readings, observations and general 'grape vine' stuff. wink.gif

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

Cheers, Gaffer and Peter.

That's just what I wanted to know. I was going to call you and ask, but thought that there are probably others like me out there thinking the same thing.

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Wordbender
Originally posted by Elton:

I was going to call you and ask, but thought that there are probably others like me out there thinking the same thing.

No you didn't - you just wanted to start a ruck. Ner. smile.gif

Terry

Guest thecarpangler

I've asked countless questions about this on the RMC forum of which many remain unanswered.

There are many 'grey' areas and I wished to get a clearer picture, even the membership secretary of ECHO wouldn't say that his comments were official, just his personal views.

Lots of people seem to be blindly following it without knowing the full spec.

This seems to me to be either that they are just jumping on a bandwagon or they are incredibly gullible.

Lots and lots of questions to be answered.

Guest RobStubbs

To me the term Keep It Real is synonomous with ECHO. I have to admit that I hate the term and think it belittles carp fishing. The ECHO thing is another heap of confusion that again appears to be doing little more than causing friction amongst carp anglers.

The whole things gets very boring and generally ends up going round and round in pointless circles - as you will know if you visit some of the other forums and e-mail lists.

Rob.