Boilie Dips??

Guest mpbdsnu

Guest mpbdsnu

I'd be interested to hear your views on the use of boilie dips? Do you feel they are an essential part of the carpers armoury? Or do you feel they are a waste of time and money - after all does the extra flavour not simply 'wash off' on hitting the water?

Personally, I'm in two minds over their usefulness to be honest! I know they are very popular with a lot of carpers and I do tend to use them myself, but others I know never use them at all!

If the extra flavour from the dip does wash off, then surely the extra attraction the dip gives would be in the wrong place?

Over to you biggrin.gif

Guest peter mccue

Hard to tell really, can't say I've seen any noticeable improvements when I've used them.

Mind they haven't harmed catches either.

Only advice I could give is leave boilies or pellets in the dip between trips & the flavour certainly hangs on then.

well there's a post that lays it on the line!!

Hi all, I love dips and glugs, mmmm, yummmy! smile.gif

Seriously, I think a large percentage of dip is washed off by the time it gets to the lakebed, which I don't think is ideal, but what can you do about it?!

I prefer to put my hookbaits in a pot and then I 'drizzle' the dip over them so when I give the pot a shake they have nothing more than coating.

After a while some of the coating is absorbed into the hookbait which will then leak off slowly once in the water.

So I get the best of both worlds, some will get washed off as the hookbait hits the water (a quick dispertion of dip) and the rest will just leak out slowly.

h

I don't like to store my hookbaits in dip/glug as they tend to harden and need drilling. I was told that the dip draws all of the moisture out of the hookbait, does anyone know if this is true?

Do any of you pay any attention to the bouyancy of your dip/glug?

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

Guest peter mccue

I've heard of this as well Gaffer, but think along the lines of if it's true, the moisture can only be replaced by the flavouring.

This can only be to our benefit, but you are right baits do go hard when left in the dip.

Is this a bad thing though?

Guest thecarpangler

Nearly every time I use a hookbait, it's enhanced in one way or the other.

This suits my session style (24 hour max normally) and because I flit around different lakes and rarely fish one lake with regularity so I am constantly looking for the quick hit and feel that boosted hookbaits give me this edge.

Rik

Guest kingfisher

Can you tell me are there any chemicals in these dips, glugs and other products that could be harmfull to any water life where you are fishing please?

------------------

J. King.

kingfisher - not sure at all about the store-bought dips/glugs/etc. in the UK but mine are veg. oil (usually corn) for human consumption with some flavoring like scopex or crayfish or shad scent added. Completely safe AFAIK.

Guest Julian @ fishooked

Hi all,

Wrote an article on dips a while ago, I’ve rehashed a few of the salient points below.

With regard to effectiveness, I think it depends on the water. As for attraction it depends on the depth of water you are fishing in and the time of year, etc. You can change the attract qualities by messing with different ingredients. For example Multimino and Nutramino have different release qualities, one releases and stays on the bottom and one rises in the water, but both are excellent for winter use.

One thing to be careful of at this time of year is the soluble qualities, you need to use oils or ingredients that release at very low temperatures. The best way, I’ve found, is to play about in the kitchen!

As far as I’m aware all the ingredients listed below are, in one form or another, natural extracts.

------------------------------------------

Results can often be improved by boosting the presence of your hook-bait. There are many ways of doing this. If you roll your own bait you can make hook-baits separately, adding slightly more flavour or attractors to your chosen mix. However, another easy and probably more effective way of doing this is to make up a ‘dip’.

All you need to do is find a small tub or container and add some of your chosen flavour along with some liquid attractors like corn steep liquor, or multimino. Then chuck in your bait. You can add almost any bait to a dip, and I always use them to boost; boilies, brazil’s, tigers, beans and corn.

You can also buy these dips ready-made, I usually use the Nutrabaits ‘High Attract’ Bait Soak Complex, which comes in handy little containers. This particular dip contains a selection of proven liquid food attractors; Nutramino, Multimino PPC, Corn Steep Liquor, Sweet Cajouser, and Betaine HC1 (in dissolved form).

I then add some of my own flavours and extracts, and that’s it, chuck your hook-bait’s in and you’re done.

The bonus here is that it gives your hook baits a much better shelf life, especially if you roll your own. Just make sure that there is enough dip to give all the baits a really good coating. I’m still using dipped baits that I made-up last November!

Be sure to keep giving them a shake between sessions, and it also helps to store them in a cool place away from direct light. When you come to use them, the boilies will be properly soaked in a thick coating of attractors and flavours that just scream “eat-me” to carp, tench, and bream.

Dipped baits are also excellent for winter use. During the colder months when carp tend to eat less, a single dipped bait can be deadly. Using single dipped baits can also help you to cover more of the water, perhaps re-casting every couple of hours without leaving a big pile of bait.

Cheers,

Julian

------------------

When the sun goes down, the bite alarms will sound!

http://www.fishooked.com

Guest Chris Shaw

A tip if you want your dip to penetrate into the bait therefore making it last longer.

After you have boiled your baits or taken them out of a ready made bag. Freeze them until they are frozen absolutely solid, then put them into your dip.

As the baits thaw the dip will/should get sucked into the bait.

I used to do this all the time years ago, just make up plain boilies and then freeze them. Then when going fishing put the amount of boilies I needed into a plastic bag and then either sprayed or poured the attractors in the bag, shake about so they all got coated then just leave to thaw out.

Also by doing it this way your attractors/flavours will not be affected by the action of boiling which does/can happen.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 11 December 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 11 December 2001).]

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by kingfisher:

Can you tell me are there any chemicals in these dips, glugs and other products that could be harmfull to any water life where you are fishing please?

Yup, in most of them I would think. As most liquid flavours attractors are synthetic.

We can only go on what the suppliers tell us, and that is most times, do not exceed stated dosage.

All you can really do is, if you do not trust what is stated, either use less or do not use it at all.

You can always smash banana`s, strawberries etc into your bait if you want the real thing. If you try this oranges and grapes where tried years ago and did not work, but then who knows they may like them on your water.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.