Boilie Dips??

Guest mpbdsnu

Guest thecarpangler

Chris,

putting flavours onto the outside of unflavoured baits is the way that Archie Braddock recommends to flavour bolies.

His concern seemed to be the act of de-nurturing or damaging the structure of the flavour/enhancer through heat.

Interesting concept.... and you must have total faith in your flavour to add it to unflavoured boilies or you must be using a quality milk protein and subscribe to the Wiltonian theory.....

Guest RobStubbs

I rarely use dips except in the winter. I will only use something like active8 or another natural product i.e. not a concentrated 'flavour' dip. I believe you need to decide what property you want to acheive with a dip before using one. For me a bit more of a flavour/signal boost initially but not an over flavoured bait. So a dip as above may be used or perhaps moulding paste around the bait or using groundbait / method type fishing.

The dips do harden baits by dehydrating them hence you have to be careful about leaving them in for a long time.

Adding flavours to the bait after boiling leads to the risk of the flavour dissapearing very quickly as it won't penetrate a boiled bait very far. It's also fair to say that flavours are added to a mix and the whole thing boiled in 99.9% of situations and fish eat them. Flavours won't be denatured by boiling as they are only relatively simple chemicals. That said it's easy to test out by boiling them and seeing what happens. It's also probably true to say that flavours are made by mixing chemicals together and probably distilling (boiling) the lot. Enhancers are slightly different but again most are produced by something like acid hydrolysis and are already in a denatured state. It has also been reported that the inside of a boilie only gets to 40-50C during boiling.

Finally lets not forget that confidence in what you are doing is still the most important factor.

Rob.

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by thecarpangler:

Chris,

putting flavours onto the outside of unflavoured baits is the way that Archie Braddock recommends to flavour bolies.

His concern seemed to be the act of de-nurturing or damaging the structure of the flavour/enhancer through heat.

Interesting concept.... and you must have total faith in your flavour to add it to unflavoured boilies or you must be using a quality milk protein and subscribe to the Wiltonian theory.....

Can I just ask, why you need complete faith in the flavour, and be using a quality milk protien bait?

This works with any bait as far as I am aware.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 12 December 2001).]

Guest Simon Newbould

Hi all....

I'm a firm believer in using dips and soaks to enhance a hookbait, especially in the winter... I agree with Rob that concentrated flavour should not be used though....

I prefer to make my own soaks/dips using a combination of amino's, GLM, HCI (L?) and a small amount of flavour...

WRT the depth of penetration into the boiled bait... what I have found works best is to add your hookbaits to your dip whilst they are frozen (as Chris has already said) as they thaw they seem to "suck" the liquid in..

The simplest and probably most effective "dip" I've used is a tin of milk (the thick stuff but not condensed) 10-15ml of multimino and 3ml of your chosen flavour... Add just enough of this mix to a bag of frozen baits to completely coat them... after a couple of hours most of the liquid has been absorbed into the baits...

I've tank tested these and they give a lovely slow, cloudy flavour release... works a treat wink.gif admittedly this particular dip seems to work better with bird seed baits...

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 12 December 2001).]

Originally posted by Chris Shaw:

Whoops, done it again..............

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 12 December 2001).]

Chris - if you get a post in by accident that you don't want, you can click to edit it and then put a check in the block to "delete" and the single post will be removed.

Guest thecarpangler
Originally posted by Chris Shaw:

Can I just ask, why you need complete faith in the flavour, and be using a quality milk protien bait?

This works with any bait as far as I am aware.

I said 'or' not 'and'

Interesting thread.

I notice that Newt uses dips that aren't specifically designed for fishing. Does anyone else do this, or do you prefer products labeled with an angling badge?

I ask because, whilst I was away, I was contacted by a company that produce a product for a totally different market and were surprised to find that their product is being used by anglers.

More details to follow when they get back to me....

Oh, btw, I tend to use dips. Not because I have any knowledge of their use whatsoever (I am far from being an 'expert' angler), but because I just 'did' and they worked for me. It's a bit like lure fishing with a 'proven' lure for me - the confidence factor is improved and that helps me fish.

Elton

Has anyone tried WD-40?

wink.gifJust kidding don't do that!!!!! I wouldn't dream of it, i'm paranoid enough about 'synthetic' (tasting/smelling) additives as it is.

One dip i did use which has caught me fish mnutes after hitting the water was this funny bloodworm oil(?) a mate lent me. It was an additive he used in his ground bait, wicked stuff but he couldn't remember who made it or where he got it rolleyes.gif I used it loads and loved the stuff, it left big oil slicks on the surface of the water and smelt really good too. caught me loads of fish and then ran out frown.gif

Bretty