Great Bait Thread

Guest Newt

This one may have the potential to do good stuff for winter carping. I don't know enough to completely evaluate it but some of you should. Take a look and comment if you would. Comments either here or on the carp.net bbs where the original thread lives.

The bait thread is Here . You'll want to read down to the postings by rf - a new poster from the Netherlands - before it begins to get really good.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 11 December 2001).]

Guest Wordbender

Sadly, Newt, that thread mereley touched upon the basics of chemical attraction. Obviously, I was hoping for a 30-page treatise on particle physics. Viz: 'Dun't uze particuls unless yoov boyled em proper'. biggrin.gif

Interesting stuff though - even if I was struggling after the first couple of atomic references rolleyes.gif - and it's always good to know that the info's there for those who want to go to the n'th degree.

Nice one, Newt.

Terry

Wordbender - I'm still waiting on rf to reply to some of my questions.

For instance, if carp in cold weather sense mostly with a closed mouth and using barbels - and if they sense items with a 4 or less carbon atom structure - that sounds like a great way to structure your ground bait. I only need to find out what those things would be.

And once they are near the ground bait, if L-amino acids are to their liking and if they sense them better with the open mouth you'd expect after they approach your ground bait and hook bait, what are some good ones. He did mention Betain being high on the list the Japanese fella worked out (5th I think) but what were 1-4?

If for sure the carp cannot deal with complex proteins in cold water but need either already-broken-down amino acids or possibly carbohydrates or fats, what sort of bait should we use to not only catch the critters but to give nutrition to the others who simply suck up our non-hook offerings.

Lots of interesting ideas to be had there.