- - - - -

Flying Backleads

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chris Shaw_*

Guest_Chris Shaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2001 - 07:21 PM

Seeing as the leadcore thread had started going slightly off topic I brought the flying backlead topic here.

One poster says that he no longer uses flying backleads because on big chucks they came back and whacked the tip ring.

SOLUTION:-

If you are fishing a bolt rig, you can place a backstop behind the flying lead to slow its travel back up the line, this stop must also be able to slide off if a break occurs.

In reality you are only looking for say something upto 6 feet pinned down anyway.

A backlead need only be small anyway, and I cannot see a small size damaging a tip ring.

Infact I have never had one come back and hit the tip ring.

It does not even have to be lead, one of those tungston weights that are around would do. Even a plastic tube with some of that tungston putty squeezed around it is ok.

If you are fishing running rigs then always use a small flying lead or the tungston putty around a tube.

------------------
Chris Shaw
The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

#2 Guest_Paul_H_*

Guest_Paul_H_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2001 - 10:40 PM

I've been using flying back leads for years carp fishing and I've never had one come back and hit the tip ring either. I also only use very light backleads so maybe it only occurs with heavier leads. I don't like heavier ones because I feel they interfere with playing a fish.

#3 Guest_Pete B_*

Guest_Pete B_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2001 - 04:46 AM

Use a knotted PVA string stop.. no worries about snagging..
Happy Carping