Flying Backleads

Guest Chris Shaw

Guest Chris Shaw

Seeing as the leadcore thread had started going slightly off topic I brought the flying backlead topic here.

One poster says that he no longer uses flying backleads because on big chucks they came back and whacked the tip ring.

SOLUTION:-

If you are fishing a bolt rig, you can place a backstop behind the flying lead to slow its travel back up the line, this stop must also be able to slide off if a break occurs.

In reality you are only looking for say something upto 6 feet pinned down anyway.

A backlead need only be small anyway, and I cannot see a small size damaging a tip ring.

Infact I have never had one come back and hit the tip ring.

It does not even have to be lead, one of those tungston weights that are around would do. Even a plastic tube with some of that tungston putty squeezed around it is ok.

If you are fishing running rigs then always use a small flying lead or the tungston putty around a tube.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

I've been using flying back leads for years carp fishing and I've never had one come back and hit the tip ring either. I also only use very light backleads so maybe it only occurs with heavier leads. I don't like heavier ones because I feel they interfere with playing a fish.