Cast Nets

Guest Salar

Does anyone else appart from me and RobT use a cast net to catch bait in the UK? Does anyone use one to catch anything else? Any tips, experiences to share? (PS I am indebted to Newt for pointing me in this direction earlier this year - a few transatlantic trips later and I am fully equiped!)

If not they darned well should.

As we've discussed, catching your bait with a good cast net can be tons of fun and IMO adds to the fishing trip.

Shame the fresh water folk can't use them for getting bait too.

You still using that 6ft or did you move up to try an 8ft? (for non-cast netters, that is the diameter and an 8ft one is LOTS harder to toss than a 6ft).

Newt,

On your advice I bought a 8ft net to begin with. I then bought a spare, plus a 10ft/1" net but they got caught up in the September chaos and arrived too late in the season to try out. I will carry on with the 8ft, and try the 10ft one next year. I bought the second batch from Memphis Net & Twine who also provide low cost seine nets and other bits and bobs, including bulk swivels and hooks.

Salar - I guess no body else is interested. Shame as they are missing some fun.

I agree about Memphis Net & Twine. They are the largest supplier of such things I've ever found - anywhere. Glad they do mail order as they are around 1000 miles west of me. Even further from you aren't they? Posted Image

Guest Keith Finn

Mail order cast nets from America, just think of the postage charge with all that

Lead on it!!!! Posted Image

Seriosly though I have seen people using them to cath shiners and such even had a go myself, it's not easy is it?.

Thought about bringing one back to use for catching bait fish but really could not think where I could use one without getting shot at

Keith

Guest Nightwing

Actualy Newt, some of us freshwater guys do use them! I catch herring, alwive, smelt, shad and shiners for pike and salmon bait. Usually use them in Lake Michigan(kinda a small freshwater ocean anyway!), but also use them on occasion in lakes for shiners or small suckers.

Nightwing - I know lots of us over here use them. I have just been surprised that almost none of the UK sea guys do. I understand they are not welcome on UK fresh water but the should be great for the sea fans to catch bait.

I use one in winter time when crappie may be in the picture or when the sunfish aren't cooperating and I want to get bait to fish for flatheads. Even on a really bad day, 15 minutes and I can put enough bait in the livewells to last thru the day - and night if I'm feeling really ambitious.

This whole thing started a few months ago when Salar had posted something (I forget just what) and I suggested he try a cast net. Turns out they are almost unknown in the UK. And harder to get there than factory-made boilies are over here. Posted Image

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 04 December 2001).]

The advantage of boilies is that they are light enough to mail - I had to have lead weighted cast nets airmailed from Memphis - not a low cost exercise! Worth it though.

Guest Cranfield

Salar, Have you ever checked wether its OK to use a cast net in the UK sea/estuary/harbours etc.?

About 10 years ago we wanted livebait for a bass/pollock boat trip off Lulworth from Weymouth.

We had to fish in Weymouth harbour with small hooks and worm/fish for the live bait.

The skipper told us that, the use of any sized net by an unlicensed person was an offence.

This was not a joke,or the skipper feeding us a line.We have known him many years and if we could have used a net we would have.

Things may have changed over the years,and it could have been because we were on a boat.

I am not sure which Authority would have jurisdiction over this.Or who to ask.