Cast Nets

Guest Salar

Guest Cranfield

Salar, Having discussed this subject with a number of "venerable gentlemen", Magna Carta got mentioned so this is good stuff.

Opinion is that selling or not selling the catch is a governing factor.

If you are not selling the catch, observe size limits and local restrictions/ bye laws re access, you should be OK.

If you are selling, then licences etc get involved.

This has been a good thread and I am glad the question appears to have been resolved.

Selling fish by unlicensed persons is against the law whatever the method, net or line. That includes those people I have heard of that sell the odd rod-caught bass to through the back door of Chinese restaurants.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to come in on this one late but just got a cast net for Chrimbo from my Greek Brother in Law, this ones a 6 footer which doesnt have brails, its more of a cone with a lead skirt. Its what they use in the med. Ive tried every web site under the sun for a fool proof method of throwing the damn thing....I can juggle and ride a unicycle but this Bl**dy thing has the better of me so far!! I cant get a circle much bigger than 4' diameter at the moment any ideas anyone?

If your looking for a cast net in the UK try South West Nets in Penzance http://www.southwestnets.co.uk/ the're a bit closer than the states!

Gill nets, tangle nets.

Supliers to the biggest gill netting fleet in the UK - presumably that means the drift nets used by cornish fishermen to devastate the ecollogy of the bay of biscay.

Is this really a company that anglers would want to support by buying their products ?

Salar - you can buy a 1 hour video that will teach you all about it from Here. It is probably the most highly recommended. A good half-hour one is Here and is good if you ignore them touting their own product. The method is good for any of that design.

Thanks, guess I'll just have to dig deep and buy a video, but I'm getting better... nearly caught a passing Blackbird this afternoon, much to his and my surprise! accidentally of course!

South West Nets though, thats just down to that Keynes bloke... "supply and Demand" make'm illegal and the market for gill nets will disappear. One bit of good news tho' the Harbour Master at Lyme Regis told me that the Environment Agency had caught a gill netter who was landing Sea trout and threw the book at him. Something like a £2000 fine, ouch. Dont know if you know but if you want to catch Salmonoids with a rod and line in the sea you still need a full game rod licence, so if you catch one and you havent, put it back!

Guest spasor

Just wondering about using a net for catching sand eels? I go to Alderney each October with a well known skipper. Biggest problem is catching eels for bait? Is it alright to use a net from the boat? Mini shrimp rigs seem to do the job, but it takes so long to get enough? I`m sure a net would be easier. I just doubt the legality? After all the bait supplier has to pay for his license? Why should I be allowed to do it for free?

Yes. I dig my own worms and gather my own crabs, and other shellfish. If someone could definitely state, that it was OK to drag a net through a shoal of sand-eels for our own use as bait? I`d be more than pleased!!

Paul Compton.

Originally posted by spasor:

Just wondering about using a net for catching sand eels? !

Paul Compton.

My own quest for a cast net started by asking on this forum how to catch sand eels and Newt introduced me to cast nets. In fact none are fine meshed enough for sand eels, but they do catch other small bait fish. The supplier who shipped me two more cast nets - Memphis Net and Twine - also sells low cost seine nets for amateur use, and they DO work for sand eels. I bought a 50 foot one and I'm looking forward to using it when the water warms up (ouch! Posted Image )

For those of you trying to throw a cast net, keep at it. There are more tecniques than you could ever find, but all have a similar method. I searched the web and found quite a number. One tip Newt gave was to throw from a slight height - my casts are usually better from a dock than on the lawn. Better to use the momentum from the swinging lead than to use a jerky throwing effort - and spend time arranging the lead line perfectly before you gather or all that effort is wasted. Finally, make sure you are casting where there are no snags - I hooked up on an old motorbike or something and put a rip in my net that took a whole week of evenings to repair! Have fun.