River levels information?

david t

Ah, good good.

Rich, as your in the area of north wales, would you happen to know anything about the accessability of lake bala for fishing? I have a small boat I would like to take pike fishing. Was just wondering if you might know anything about it.

If anyone wants any info from me for fishing in my area, just ask. Id like to be able to give information out as well as recieve it.

cheers

dave

here you go David,

Llyn Tegid at 1,084 acres is Wales's largest natural lake and is arguebly the most beautiful. It is of glacial origin and used to extend to some 8 miles long. It is a lake steeped in legend. Llyn Tegid means Lake of Serenity and it is easy too see why after spending a day fishing there. The lake has been a fishery of importance from early times. It is said that on moonlit nights you can see towers and buildings under the waters, and that bells can be heard. These buildings, according to legend, was the palace of King Tegid, husband of Ceridwen, the mother of Taliesin. Llyn Tegid is also home to the rare and protected whitefish called the Gwyniad which roams the deeps.

Species

14 species of fish in Llyn Tegid, the ones fished for are Pike,Roach,Perch,Trout,Grayling and Eels.

Cost of fishing in 2004.

Fishing Prices.

Day ticket-£2.50 Week-£6.00 Season-£20.00.

Launching your own boat.

Day ticket-£3.50 Week-£10.00 Season-£30.00

All tickets available from Wardens office(main car park), pay and display machines or on bank.

Access

There are very few restrictions on the water. Paths or permissive paths give easy access to bank. (see Llyn Tegid pamphlet). If unsure please do not cross land, contact wardens for further information. Boat users be aware that marker buoys on lake are there for competition purposes. Keep well away from racing boats and courses.

Safety

All lake users are reminded that lifejackets or buoyancy aids are compulsory on the water. Warden has discretion to stop all boating in adverse weather conditions. No motors allowed on the water. Boat permits must be obtained before going on the water.

Directions

Llyn Tegid is within easy reach of the major North West cities, being under two hours drive from Manchester and Liverpool via the A5 and then the A494. It is also to reach from Shrewsbury and Birmingham via the A458, A470 and A494.

For the family -

Nearby towns Bala, Dolgellau, Corwen.

Nearest Tourist information Penllyn, Pensarn Rd, Bala, Gwynedd, LL23 7SR Tel: 01678 521021.

Lakeside beach and Leisure centre near Warden’s office. Miniature railway alongside east bank. Farm park - 3 miles. Many scenic lakeside and country walks.

I have never fished it but have thought about it a few times. seems like a good spot is about the railway side, i'd just rove along that bank if i was you.

good luck!

Cheers Rich,

I think I may go along there when we get the next set of mild weather, some southerly winds. Maybe from the bank, or i might take a 12ft rowing boat.

Mainly for pike, but wouldnt mind going for ferox trout too, trolling trout deadbaits for them. I will have a look at the place on google earth.

cheers

dave

Dave,

I read somewhere that near the tower (not sure where on the lake that is, maybe google earth will solve it), there are big perch.

Might be worth rowing out and casting a few mepps spinners / twitching the odd lobworm.

just a thought...