Any method Derwent

Trout Tempter

I read with interest that the Derwent reservoir is going to be open to all coarse bait fishing this year (as welll as fly fishing), anyone confirm or otherwise ?.

Is this a ploy to clear out all the trout which have not been caught during last year as there was no fishing due to Foot and Mouth ? I think fish will be very difficult to coax to the fly when all sorts of foodstuffs will be competing for their appetites.

[ 12 March 2002, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Trout Tempter ]

Dear Trout Temptor,

Again, some more silly questions from your Member for America. I just read your post about foot & mouth disease that ran rampant through your great country last year. How did that affect fishing especially in your area? I remember watching on tv (the telly?) the carnage that the farmers & livestock growers had to endure because of the rapid spread of that disease. I too live on a small farm here in eastern Ohio & we raise cattle. We also have 2 small ponds surrounded by pasture land. If this were to happen in this country, how would that affect the fish & fishing in those ponds?

I hope you respond & you don't think these questions to much.

Curious in U.S.A.,

DOUG DUVALL

dduvall@ovis.net e-mail if you so desire!

Doug,

Fishing here in the County Durham area was severley curtailed as acces to the majority of fishing is across livestock farm land or land adjacent to farms,these routes and footpaths were closed to access by county councils for 11 months. The picture was the same for the other areas I fish, Scotland and the Yorkshire dales, however all restrictions are now lifted so again access is available to all those areas which have been "fallow" so to speak last year with luck fish will have forgotten the danger associated with artificial flies.

:):):)

Doug

Foot & Mouth itself doesn't affect the fish, it just stops anglers going fishing because the virus is so virulent and easily transferred that you basically have to shut the area down and not allow any access at all.

Probably of more significance in last years case were the methods used to try and wipe out the virus. Tens of thousands of gallons of disinfectant (probably more) were poured onto the ground and it all has to go somewhere. And there's also the matter of 1 million plus animal carcases buried in large holes in the ground along with various chemicals often with no more thought given to their location other than could they dig a big enough hole! How much of that is going to end up in the groundwater and then into rivers and streams??

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.