Deephooking

Jeff S

Is it common to deephook grayling on dry flies? I don't have the same problem fishing the nymph downstream since they are most likely taking the fly from behind and not underneath.

I've caught three large grayling in the last week that have engulfed the fly and were very difficult to unhook even while using barbless hooks. The size of the hook seems to make little difference even to a size 10. They have been vicious takes though coming almost clear of the water.

The venue

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Jeff,

Yes I also have the same problem sometimes, for some reason they on some days take the fly really deep into the mouth.

I use a a small forceps to remove the hook, keeping the fish in the water whilst doing so.

If it is warm they also take some time to come round, but they do in the end

Gwilym Hughes

Hi Gwilym,

I was starting to think I was either the only person fishing or the only one that has this problem. You always hear about deephooking pike and stitching the opening to their stomachs but I doubt I have ever read anything or even heard it mentioned in smaller fish other than perch. The thing is grayling are not all that resilient. Not to mention it's like trying to handle a squirming bar of soap while unhooking them.

I'm going to try larger hooks and see if that doesn't help.

[ 08. September 2004, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Jeff,

The bigger the hook, the easier it will be for you to get hold of it...but consider, catch and release, barbless hooks and does your fly match the hatch on the size of hook you are considering.

Artery forceps or the 'Catchum Release' contraptions would be a better solution to the problem.

Gwilym Hughes