Estuary fishing this time of year

PaddyX21

Afternoon all,

My sea fishing experience is next to nothing, I've only targeted the Mullet and some Bass in the summer months.

What fish am I going to find in the river / estuary this time of year?

What baits should I be using?

Are there any especially good tatics I should be using?

Yesterday evening / night I tried a two hook rig, with black lug on the bottom and squid mid water. I had two bites the whole evening, neither connecting with a fish. So there must be something there but I have no idea what or how best to catch it!

Any / all help and advice appreciated

Cheers

P

Edited by PaddyX21

This time of year, I don't bother with the inner estuary until the crabs begin to peel.

Waiting for the thornbacks to appear from the beaches on Sheppey, usually from mid to late march.

Then when mackerel start to come to the southern beaches in May/June, my bass fishing starts.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Do you leave it as there's nothing there Leon?

Or as its pretty difficult until the water warms?

I don't mind blanking a few sessions if I know that there is stuff there to catch - infact I relish the challenge of it! But if there's nothing there to catch then please save me from wasting my time!!

When you go fishing for the Rays then could you drop me a line? - I'd like to go along and get the experience with someone who knows what they are doing!

Thanks for the reply anyway

P

There's always something around :) (mainly pouting!).

Hook up with the guys on the MATSAC forum there's a few ray trips being planned :)

(I'll let you know when I go next)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust