marker floats

stan g

hi guys,

How are marker floats used ?

ie, held in position and retrieved etc.

"if" my thinking is correct, i am concerned about

snagging it if it is used the way i think it is.

HELP

stang :confused:

well stan

cast out,reel in slowly until you feel the marker float " donk aganist the lead ,(the float is tied on first followed by a bead or two and a lead on the line free running,if the venue is weedy, try a short four inch link,tie the bomb to this and put a cork ball or simailar above the lead on the link,this will help it rise above the weed.ideally tho if it isnt rising it aint a clear patch,if you are happy with your placement of the float leave it there when you want to fish(to avoiding fouling the line when you get a take)simply wind down to the lead and lay the marker rod on the ground with the tip submerged.to gauge the depth it is best to use a baitrunner and mark your rod with tipp-ex exactly 12 inches up from the reel,then with baitrunner on and marker cast otu and wind down to thel ead and release a foot(12inches) of line at a time till th efloat rises then you have your depth,to find out what is on the bottom,drag the lead along it(you can buy leads specially for this they have stubbs that bring back bits of what ever is on the bottom twigs,weed etc)you will feel either

smoothand slow is usaully silt

]stick and release is weed

and bump bump bump is gravel

use braid for this and a proper marker rod and you will be amazed what you can find.takes practice tho. good lu mate hope the info helps

[ 20. June 2004, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!