Rackerhayes Complex

bry

Hi all

I have just got back into course fishing after a ten year break, I have years of experience.

I have just brought all my course and carp gear and rearing to go.

I live in Brixham Devon and have heard of plenty of pools /lakes in the Devon area.

The one I have recently been reading about is Rackerhayes Complex, can anyone give me more info on where exactly it is from Pen Inn Island and correct me if I wrong, there is a more pools/lakes on there and which ones can I use.

I don't know Newton abbot too well only pass through to go on the M5 and Trago Mills.

Bry

Hi Bry,

Have a look at this for directions: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=28655...=72547&lm=0

The easiest way to get there is to go onto the dual carriageway past Penn Inn and then follow signs for the racecourse at the Kingsteignton/Teignmouth exit. As you come to the racecourse entrance, there is a very large Tesco store opposite and Rackerhayes is behind Tesco.

Take the service road into Tesco and continue straight to the Rackerhayes gate, for which you will need a key from any shop that sells Newton Abbot tickets.

Newton Abbot FA have a good website with info about the lakes and tickets/rules etc check it out here: http://www.newtonfishing.com/

My website is in serious need of updating, but will give you some idea of other waters locally: http://www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

As far as fishing Rackerhayes goes, it is not an easy fishery! Once you get to grips with it, however, the rewards can be excellent. Carp to over 30lb, tench to over 11lb, bream close to 10lb as well as the usual roach, perch, rudd etc.

The lakes are all clay pits, most finished being worked around the late 1920s, so they are mature waters. Most are very deep with steep margins going down to 15-20' within 10m of the bank. In shallower areas, weed can be a major headache, and finding feeding routes and small gaps is one of the key aspects of locating the fish.

I would suggest you get a ticket and key and take a walk around, talking to some of the anglers before fishing. If you see a lake you like the look of, drop me an email (steve@coarsefish-torbay.co.uk) with a few more details about the kind of fishing you like to do and I will give you a more detailed idea of how to approach the venue.

Steve

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply

I will have a look around first then.

I live in Brixham, is there any venues near me, I had a look around Town Parks Fishing yesterday on the Totness road.

That's for the good info much appreciated

Bry

Guest Rabbit

Brings back memories, when I was single, many years ago I used to live in Newton Abbott, which is by the lakes, the fishing was good and the main species were tench, probably carp now. Did a few all nighters and had the mink playing at my feet at times. Lovely place lovely part of the country...best of luck!!

Guest Rabbit
Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply

I will have a look around first then.

I live in Brixham, is there any venues near me, I had a look around Town Parks Fishing yesterday on the Totness road.

That's for the good info much appreciated

Not too sure about the coarse scene apart from Rackerhayes, but the Mullett fishing is great, if you dont mind clambering down rocks then Hopes Nose is the place for Mullett, or the Dart Estuary for conger skate and mullett, I had a small clinker boat and hauling in conger in that was fun :headhurt:

Town Parks and New Barn are the closest venues to you, followed by Rocombe (on the Newton Abbot ticket) just outside Torquay, then Rackerhayes and probably Hatchlands or East Moor out past Totnes.

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

Meant to say: the type of fishing you want to do will have a bearing on which fisheries you should visit, or which clubs you should join, so let me know what you want to catch and how you prefer to fish.

There are 2 clubs in Brixham: Three Elms and Castoffs, also a club at Marldon called Butterlake and then as well as Newton Abbot FA, Exeter & District AA have a range of fisheries and will be the best bet if you like river fishing.

www.mahseertrust.org

check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

im an all rounder apart from trout & salmon and river fishing, i also like the canals.

I do pole, rod and float and carp but i do like my float fishing.

What about Decoy, do you know anything about that venu

Bry

Hi Rabbit, didn't mean to ignore you before, just a bit pressed for time. I'll be fishing your way in a couple of weeks, on the River Lugg, the Severn in Worcester and Cob House fisheries near Martley.

There are more carp in Racks nowadays, but still plenty of tench and quite a few big bream. The tench are not quite as big as they were, but there are more of them. Island pond is now open to day tickets and associate members, Wheel pond is open to all and Dores is now only for full members.

Bry, Decoy is similar to the lakes at Racks, but probably a little harder because it gets less anglers on it. The tench in Decoy are probably a bigger average size, say around 7-8lb compared to 4-6lb at Racks, but you will catch less and have more blank sessions.

The pole is very useful at Racks, but you will need to gear up as if you were fishing for carp. No16 elastic, 6lb line, strong size 14 hook and floats around 0.5g. Plumb up from close in, out to 8m, looking for 6-7' of water. You may have to fish along the side a little or to the edge of bushes but not too far out.

Feed hemp and casters and fish double or triple red maggot slightly overdepth. The secret is to feed quite aggressively and work the bait by lifting and dropping the float very regularly. The tench will often take the bait on the drop.

Make sure the float is dotted right down as bites are usually a single dink. So many people miss tench bites because they are just not concentrating hard enough and expect the float to sail away and stay buried. Those types of bites will be few and far between.

There is a lot of weed, so you will need to play the fish hard, hence the strong gear.

www.mahseertrust.org

check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

Guest Rabbit

Hi Rabbit, didn't mean to ignore you before, just a bit pressed for time. I'll be fishing your way in a couple of weeks, on the River Lugg, the Severn in Worcester and Cob House fisheries near Martley.

There are more carp in Racks nowadays, but still plenty of tench and quite a few big bream. The tench are not quite as big as they were, but there are more of them. Island pond is now open to day tickets and associate members, Wheel pond is open to all and Dores is now only for full members.

Hi!!

Well if I ever get down that way again perhaps for old times sake...but to be honest I prefer rivers, and that's one commodity that we are not short of up this way. Never fished the Lugg but heard some good things about the river, the Severn can be a moody old girl, but we are all hoping for a big improvement with Sabrina this season. Have you fished the Teme or Wye? if you fancy a spot of Tiger hunting on the Teme, let me know.