Peterborough, Canals and the close season

fruitloopy

This may be a dumb question but I know that canals are exempt from the close season, others here are saying they fish canals but I dont know if I have any near me that I can use.

Does Peterborough have a canal? I have looked up on UK Canal Maps and it lists the River Nene but I would like to know if some parts can be fished in the close season.

If not the Nene is there somewhere else close by I can go to?

Thanks.

You can fish at Ferry Meadows, but only in a strictly restricted number of pegs - on Gunwade Lake I think. It's a bit of a nonsense really, because the fish are free to swim between the lakes and the river.

If you just want a canal-like experience, go to Northey Park (just before you get to the North Bank of the Nene), where there is a long, thin pond that will be very similar.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

You can fish at Ferry Meadows, but only in a strictly restricted number of pegs - on Gunwade Lake I think. It's a bit of a nonsense really, because the fish are free to swim between the lakes and the river.

If you just want a canal-like experience, go to Northey Park (just before you get to the North Bank of the Nene), where there is a long, thin pond that will be very similar.

I know where you mean, its actually called The Canal isnt it? If this is the one you mean then I fish there on a fairly regular basis :D

I'm the gnome down at the far end, opposite the polish anglers who fish of the peninsula...and leave their McDonalds wrappers everywhere!

I like Northey Park as its not quite as heavily stocked as other places like Decoy Lakes in Whittlesey so it presents a bit more of a challenge, or maybe i'm just not that good!

Thanks Peter.