repair of split cane rods

bromley

Can anybody help?

I have a much loved split cane float road inherited from my Granddad that must be over sixty years old. It gets an outing occasionally and catches a few fish.

While the ferrules fit snugly, the one on the butt has developed a “knock”, the female ferrule is beginning to come loose and it appears that that the original glue may have dried out with age.

Is it possible to repair it, by simply taking the ferrule off and re-glueing it? If so, anyone got any ideas how I do this? Alternatively, am I better off sending it to a professional restorer and having the ferrule replaced?

Advice gratefully appreciated.

If the knocking is definitely not coming from within the junction of the two ferrules, you should be able to simply re-glue the female ferrule using a 2 part expoxy glue like Araldite.

I had a similar problem recently when a cane rod came apart with a "puff of smoke" (dried glue), leaving the bottom joint without its ferrule. Araldite fixed it and it's fine now.

Hi Bromley, yes it's possible to repair the ferrule yourself. I have done repairs on my cane rods like that and it's easy.

First thing I would do is mark on the rod where the ferrule is, in other words how far down it sits on the cane and which way up it is, I would make a mark on the male and female ferrules where they meet.

Unwhip the ferrule of any whipping and if so just pull it off, thats if the glue has dried out that much. If not then very very carefully warm it with something like a lighter to soften any remaining glue that may be holding it on.

When it's off, just sand down the inside as best you can without touching the smooth surface where the male one goes in, just the area where it meet the cane, and sand the cane down a little as well. The glue used for holding ferrules on traditionally is something called Cascamite, you can get it from most hardware shops etc.

Anway, whatever you use just marry up the areas you marked to make sure everything is back in the same position or you may find the section will sag etc.

Glue it and whip it down and varnish and that should be fine mate. Personally I dont think there is any need to get the rod repaired or ferrule replaced unless there is too much play or the ferrules get stuck.

Or Araldite :)

Edited by hermes