Stalking for Carp help

fruitloopy

Thats a lovely looking fish BigKev! I'm only just getting into stalking so at the moment I can only dream of ones that big.

I'll have a look at a spinning rod as well because I would like to have a go at some Pike fishing. In the meantime I a selling a few bits & peices on eBay to raise money for the Greys Stalker 7 footer. The stuff I am selling is not fishing related except for a box set of John Wilson DVD's called Fishing at its very best. 6 DVD's in total. I think I may see if I can list it on here but if your interested you can look at them here:

John Wilson DVD Box Set on eBay

I'm going to go and have another try at my ghostie tonight after work. I couldnt decide on what bait to use so I asked my wife to pick 3 cards, each with a different bait on.

Sweetcorn tonight...I'll let you know what happens.

I'm going to go and have another try at my ghostie tonight after work. I couldnt decide on what bait to use so I asked my wife to pick 3 cards, each with a different bait on.

Sweetcorn tonight...I'll let you know what happens.

I went back that night and started to bait the swim with some sweetcorn, I thought I would let them gain some confidence before I lowered my bait in so I started on my dinner to pass the time.

I was visited by another angler, I liked him straight away because he could see I was keeping a low profile so he adopted the same, left his gear 10 metres away and crept up to me. We had a really good chat about the place of which he is very familiar and when he told me what was really in there it shocked the hell out of me!

I will not mention the place as it is not a commercial water and its a bit of a secret spot, we certainly dont want a load of bivies camped out around the edges! I dont have a problem with this style of fishing (I dont want to cause another heated debate!) but if loads of these do turn up the place will get closed. There are some big carp in there (big for me anyway) and I was warned that using an 8lb line in there is not a good idea, these carp are not fished for much and very clever. They would have no problem in quickly disappearing around the corner and under some sunken branches.

More importantly, I now know where the ghost carp comes from and how he got in there...but I cant talk about that as I dont want to get anyone in trouble.

We spoke for longer about tackle, setup, rods and landing nets so I have now bought some more heavier duty stuff, in particular a 42" landing net, 15lb Daiwa Sensor line and I finally took delivery of my Greys Stalker Rod!

I decided to go for the 9ft - 12ft stalker as it is adaptable to margins and close fishing as well as for general use. I would have to agree with the reviewer that this thing just oozes quality. Its as light as a feather but gives the impression of a real fighter!

So...I will be back there tonight, the weather looks favourable with cloud cover but still warm and a light wind.

These guys are not fished for or caught much so I will be going for a natural bait, the trusty worm! I'll throw some chopped up worm in to build confidence and then see what I can do.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know, they are more than welcome.