Grayling Fish In

Guest Chris Plumb

Guest Chris Plumb

Below is a posting I made a fortnight ago on the ANMC (see - it really pays to join!!). Any way I've got at least THREE places to fill.

If you're interested please E-MAIL BE OFF LIST at chris_plumb@ntlworld.com

But HURRY first come, first served!!

Well I've kept my promise and have booked Lower Denford fisheries on the Kennet for The First Anglersnet Grayling Day.

I think demand may be high so I'm just offering it here for the time being.

The Date; Friday 1st Feb. 2002

Lower Denford is a mile or so downstream from Hungerford and is about 4 miles from the M4 J14 and 10 miles from J13. I'll post maps of the fishery and the area nearer the time.

The fishery is dominated by a series of streams and carriers with around a dozen small weirs and plunge pools. Very picturesque and a joy for the roving angler. Trotting or fly fishing allowed though ALL trout must be returned unharmed. There are a LOT of grayling here and in the last 4 years that I've been coming here as part of the IAC grayling days we've never known anyone blank (Jeez that's tempting fate!!!) I personally have had well over 50 on each of the last 2 years.

You still have to find them though so you'll need to rove around a fair bit so travel light. And we usually say that if you hit a hotspot give it half an hour and move on to give someone else a chance. Most folks spend the day trotting. 2-3 pints of maggots should see you through the day presented below a stick float to hook sizes 12-18 on around 3lb bottom. If you're adventurous bring along some bread and sweetcorn.

Most of the Grayling are around the 6 ounce mark and whilst the owner claims fish upto 2.5 lbs you should be pleased if you get a pounder. I usually average 3 or 4 over a lb my best a 1lb 14oz fish a couple of years ago.

In addition to the 'Ladies', the carriers are home to some BIG dace; the plump females come up off the Kennet proper to spawn. Last year I had 3 over 14ounces, the year before a beauty of 1lb1½ oz. In fact it's the chance of a 1lb dace that is now a bigger attraction for me!! Also I know someone that went last week and had some big roach out!

Such fishing don't come cheap and the charge is 20ukp per rod. If anyone wants to add a donation to charity on top of this I'll forward it to cancer research in honour of my late father who died of cancer at just 28 (I was 6).

Numbers are also limited. 12 at a push (The car park will struggle to hold that many cars) which means I've got 11 places up for grabs. First come first served and I want to restrict it to ANMC ONLY anglers initially as a thank you to Elton for running such a great site.

To make a provisional booking please e-mail me off list at chris_plumb@ntlworld.com .I'll confirm (evenings only)whether or not you've got a provisional place. A cheque for at least 20 quid will then confirm your place!!

These are always great days with superb fishing on a water that ordinarily you'd need a second mortgage to fish for trout in season(get there early the best times are often the first and last hours of the day especially for the dace!). Also if you've never fished a centre-pin before this is a great place to start as you don't need to worry too much about casting - quite a few folks from the IAC have caught there first grayling using a 'pin for the first time...

So what about it???

Looking forward to putting some names to faces.....

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Plumb (edited 01 December 2001).]

Guest Ferret1959
Originally posted by Chris Plumb:

Below is a posting I made a fortnight ago on the ANMC (see - it really pays to join!!). Any way I've got at least THREE places to fill.

Chris check your mail.

------------------

Dave

tjs-angling@excite.co.uk

Guest Gray-Catchpole

Chris

i think the efforts that anglers on AN go to, to organise fish-ins is great, and i understand how much work that goes into such events.

ive been a member of AN for some time now, and have fished many of the get togethers, and that includes events such as the NEC where we just got together without fishing, all good things.

ANAC from what i can gather, (im not a member) is a subscription based part of AN for saving money when buying stuff online.

Not surly for keeping the rest of us out of a fish-in, until you cant fill the alocated slots, then throw it (3 places) open to the rest of us.

ive recently got into greyling, thanks to Darrell, and Hungerford is not a million miles away from us, and would have loved to have attended, but im not willing to join a service i would never use, just to be privvy to fish-ins that should be part of our unity.

i wish you all the best and hope the get together goes well, just make things open to all is all i ask.

------------------

Email: mailto:gray@catch-pole.co.ukgray@catch-pole.co.uk

Guest Chris Plumb

Gray - that's your perogative but as I said in my post it's another way of showing support for Elton.

Anyway this Fish-in is now FULL. Lets have your money guys.

I've had 2nd thoughts about putting the fishery map on here so will e-mail it out directly.

Chris

(Elton - see fit to lock this thread if you wish)

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

[This message has been edited by Chris Plumb (edited 02 December 2001).]

Guest Steve Randles

ANMC...Elitist!!!

Three spaces left, fill the spaces from the remaining common forum folk...

You can always show Elton your support by posting here...

I wont be party to a spin-off, or fill spaces to make others fishing cheaper...

Heres to the next AN fish in ...where all are invited.. not a select few...

------------------

Tight Lines,Steve Randles

><(())*>

Anglers-Rest.co.uk

mailto:steve@anglers-rest.co.uksteve@anglers-rest.co.uk

Guest Cranfield

Chris arranges a grayling fish-in and makes it available to ANMC members first.

Surely his prerogative.

Gray, you can organise a fish-in (any species) and invite who you want.

Its not fair to knock Chris.

Steve, reread your post in the SAA thread and then call someone else "Elitist". mad.gif

Yes, I am a member of the ANMC.

No,I am not going to the grayling fish-in.