Close season on rivers

Guest David

Guest waterman1013

Come on guys Graham has made a valid point here applying to rivers only.

Sure clubs can set their own agenda on lakes and canals, mostly fished from the towpath side only. But rivers with riperian rights on both banks under different controlling clubs cannot be protected by an individual club in the same way as a lake whose whole perimeter is controlled by one club or the towpath on a section of canal.

This string is specifically about rivers and they do present particular management problems. Until the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Review was published there was no real pressure from anglers to remove the close season on rivers, and IMHO the Review does not make out an adequate case for its removal. It looks like Sunday could be lively. biggrin.gif

Mike

Guest Graham E

Thanks Mike.

Yes Ron it happens in spring and what does spring coincide with.....Spawning when fish are at their weakest and vunerable, Nuff Said.

Yes the thought of a bare treble chills me also but not all people that fish are fishermen and not all are considerate.

Who would have thought that Fishermen would use longlines to catch fish to transport to other waters. We believe our water may have suffered from fishstealing, it's not cricket but.. don't dismiss the potential.

Guest Adrian

Have just read this subject after a weeks hols, (some time spent looking longingly at a swollen Dorset Stour). There are some very valid points made.

1. Fish concentrating at spawning grounds, it does happen. In the past 20 years I have become aware of places on the Stour and Arun where phenominal catches of Dace can be taken at the end of the season, no doubt this is typical of many species. If there were no closed season, how long before these 'hot spots' are flogged to death. I do not know the likely effect of such pressure, be honest, who does?.

2. The bare treble hook question. Sadly it does happen. I have seen it for myself with out of season 'anglers'having a go at spawning Bream (tidal stour) and Chub (Longham, on the Stour).On both occasions the choice between packing up or taking an 'early bath' had the desired effect!.

3. The wildlife aspect. A pair of very protective swans were nesting on the stretch of river I visited, they hissed and tried to warn off anyone who got too close to their eggs. Sadly, we all know the likely reactions to these birds of some of the 'anglers' we have to share the banks with...More ammo to the antis

4. Am I alone in being unimpressed by those early season photos of bloated, spawn bound Tench and Carp that would be nowhere near the claimed weights if in normal condition ?.

Finally, for those who walk the banks in the close season, how about giving the fry in the margins a feed ?. A bit of spare groundbait or bread is soon scoffed by them. It may help them survive/ flourish/ grow bigger.

Guest waterman1013

Hi Adrian

You have no business being away from your computer just because you are holiday. This BB needs good inputs, like yours!

You are not alone in thinking that fish should look like fish, designed for swiming in water rather than ploughing a furrow in a field. The present tench record is an embarrassment, either it was full of spawn or was suffering from the same boating effect which some carp seem to acheive. In any case it was an ugly fish and IMO misshapen.

Mike

P.S.

Why not register and post some of your own topics?

Guest RobStubbs

Mike/All,

There are many subthreads going here but starting from the carp deaths (my own favourite topic). As I said carp have always suffered (died) in spring whether there has been angling taking place or not. Remember when we had a full closed season (almost) everywhere. What we do have now is more reporting due to more weeklies, plus it's currently a hot topic.

Next illegal angling practices - treble snagging etc. Well this is irrelevant to the thread, all we can do is hope the EA follow up such practices (I assume all you that have seen it have informed them).

The total abolition of the closed season. We all know there was never any scientific justification for the abolition of the closed season on stillwaters (perhaps a tiny bit of pseudo science). Even less so for it's removal on canals. So what makes people think it will be any different on Rivers ? You also have to remember there was no scientific rationale for imposing the closed season in the first place.

There may be a real scientific case for keeping the closed season but I've never seen it published. Mostly it's just the traditionalist type feeling. Sure we do disturb the wildlife (just like during work parties) and some people will take advantage of fish grouped up for spawning but do the fish really suffer ? I'm fairly sure the EA have never proven or even suggested that they do. If I'm wrong perhaps someone could point me in the direction of such evidence.

As Mike says there may be some interesting 'discussions' at our meeting on Sun biggrin.gif

Rob.

Guest Gaffer

Fishing is a sport,is it not?

Then why can't fish be given a 'sporting chance'(a term commonly used in shooting,not just for game)when they are spawning?

I'm quite open minded regarding the closed season,i'm not a traditionalist,but if there's any doubt in my mind that they are still spawning,i won't fish.

I'm not going to be known as the last person to catch a named carp!

I have no idea with regard to spring deaths,but at least my conscience is clear.

Guest RobStubbs

Gaffer,

What I am advocating is the adoption of responsible and sensible rules by clubs/fisheries and not a blanket 'atbitrary' closed season imposed by the government. I would not fish for spawning fish and neither would I contemplate snagging fish or any other barbaric practices. Why can't the decision be left to the water controllers to do what they think is sensible in the best interests of the fish ?

Rob.

Guest Gaffer

Rob,i can't argue with that.

I also agree with you that different waters require a different closed season.

What i was trying to say/ask was,does there need to be a scientific reason for imposing a closed season? Can't they be given a sporting chance?

Gaffer.

p.s. Withy,any good?

Guest Steve Burke

Ah, at last somebody here agrees with me about a blanket ban! From replies to my previous postings I thought I was a lone voice calling for fishery managers to decide the rules on their own waters!

However what do you do on rivers when the contoller of one bank imposes a close season whilst the one on the other bank allows fishing all year round?

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest David

Well thanks for all the replies, I for one think its a load of rubbish close season. All fish no matter from rivers, canals and lakes can breed out side of the close season.

America as no close season and I do beleave they have more anglers then ourselfs. All this breeding and wonderfull 12th Junes ok if thats what you wish but allow us who like to fish all year round get on with it, you can still have your own close season. My son came home from a tour of Northern Ireland and he loves river fishing but after six months away we could not fish the rivers due to the close season then after his leave he was away to Bosnia, GREAT?