Spooky Experiences

Guest Alan Pearce

Guest Dave Johnson

Great story Alan, so well written it even gave a cynical scientist like me goosebumps!

I hate to be the sceptic here but don't you think there's likely to be a rational explanation for what occurred? Could the sound have been from an animal e.g. screech owl, deer, fox, dog etc? Alternatively the sound may have been a deliberate attempt to spook you by local teenagers (who often hangout at these places). As for the wail following you as you left; well wind does odd things to sound, you mentioned there was a breeze blowing from the direction of the wood… this may have carried/amplified and even distorted the sound (maybe partial explanation for Iain's footsteps as well?). The torches are less easy to explain… although I know from experience that when stressed the simplest of things are almost impossible to operate (like rear drag on a reel!). Saying all this, if I was there I'd have been the first back to the car wink.gif

Anyway, thanks for brightening a dark and stormy night.

Dave (Formerly Milton Ernie)

PS Where was the lake? if it's local I'd love to check it out!

Guest Alan Pearce

Thanks for the reply Dave, Sparrows Pond is located in north Essex next to the village of Gosfield which itself is located between the towns of Braintree and Halstead. The fishing on this old estate lake is run by the Halstead & Hedingham AC, details from the post office in the village.

Maybe we could arrange an Anglers Net night fish in there, any takers?

Alan

------------------

Originally posted by Alan Pearce:

Alan

Unfortunately, I'm really busy that night.

When was it again?

Elton tongue.gif

Guest Simon Newbould

Alan,

Yeah, I'd be up for that!

Great story by the way - pity you lost the fish though...

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 10 October 2000).]

I'll be there for certain!

------------------

John Suffill

Guest Chris Shaw

Yea, (cough) (sneeze) yuch, where did I put me hanky.

Thats better, what about fishing it on Halloween ?

Oooohhh ooooooooohhhhhhh arrrgghhhhh biggrin.gif

------------------

Chris Shaw

Guest Scott.Ashworth

I once had a run in with a particularly psychotic bunny at about 3am. I was fishing with my dad on a small pond tucked away in the corner of a massive park in Manchester(Heaton Park if anyones interested). It was the first time either of us had fished it and all we knew was that it was chatty with roach and that we'd seen quite a few decent fish rolling as it was getting dark.We got down quite early and got ourselves settled in with a good few cans of stella,and as we weren't fishing too far apart(cowards that we are) had a good chinwag.The pond was deathly quiet until about 3am when i started to hear the sound of tiny footsteps getting louder and faster coming towards me.As i glanced down nonchalantly to my right, this thing that looked like something out of Hound of the Baskervilles,with glowing eyes and luminous skin, leapt up and over the arm of my chair and landed in my lap. My memory gets a little hazy here but apparently i jumped out of my chair yelling something along the lines of "What in heavens name could that be?" and threw it into the pond.

After the old man had stopped laughing and i'd stopped soiling my pants,we netted a bedraggled looking rabbit of about 6lbs.

Never have been back but my dad says that when he walks through the park he can sometimes hear a bloodcurdling knawing of lettuce leaves.

So, if there's no rabbits, then bring on the Sparrows!!!

------------------

Ashy

Guest Wordbender
Originally posted by Scott.Ashworth:

'it was chatty with roach'

What an excellent expression. Never heard that one before. Hmmmmm. It could just oust 'mingin' as my favourite term.

Cheers, Scott. :-)

Terry.

Guest Roy Meincken

Hey Allan, great story. Yeah I like the thought of fishing (or not) this place on 31/10. Come on guys get it organised.

R

------------------

Guest John Weddup

This Is John Weddups son, Nick. My birthday is on Halloween, i would love to fish there at night, but as soon as i told Dad he said i'd have a job because your not allowed to night fish there.... Anyhow if it goes foward and Dad will let me i'd love to come!

Dad say's he'll be pleased to come he'll bring a BBQ we'll either cook a ghostly spirit or drink the bugger

cya all

Nick & Dad