Centre Pin Adcock Stanton

ANDREW PAUL

A while back I bought an older Adcock Stanton. It never came with any paper work regarding the maintenance of the reel. The spool does not have any easy release; it looks like it needs a special tool to loosen it. Which side would I loosen, front or back? Where can I get the tool? Anyone have any diagrams or tips? I’ve been using this reel often and I don’t want to fall behind in taking proper care of it. :confused:

You can make a tool to loosen the spool. I cut down an alarm key to make a wide/thin screwdriver type head, it works fine. Make sure you only loosen the spool rather than the backplate. If you loosen the backplate the spindle will fall out. The spool is the bit with holes (perforations) in it. Insert your newly made tool and turn anti clockwise to remove the retaining nut, remove the spool, clean the reel and re-oil with a fine oil. For a bearing reel like the AS sewing machine oil will be fine.

Nigel.