I Resent . . . .

Guest Peter Waller

Guest pikemaster39
Originally posted by Peter Waller:

what I don't like about carp anglers is the minority who use 'carp' angling attitudes and methods for species that perhaps are unsuited to such methods.

For what its worth Peter I agree wholeheartedly with your comments above, carp anglers who want to go piking should only do so when they have the correct equipment for the job (swingers and inline leads have no place in pike angling). I can remember back in the 80's when the beachcaster rig was being seen for the first time that the carp anglers were screaming the method wasnt fair on the carp and it should be left on the beach were it came from.

Though I must say Peter I am quite frankly surprised that when the carp anglers you mentioned started pike fishing in the manner you describe that you didnt wander over and attempt to educate them in the correct way to fish for pike (thats what I would have attempted anyway) and maybe just maybe, saving the pikes life, so are you not just as guilty by your own apathy of killing that fish.

Now you say that Pike are not suited for match fishing, that could be true but I for one would prefer to see a Pike match being correctly run rather than seeing pike matches going underground with potentialy disasterous results, and lets fact it if you have stewards on the banks that know who to deal with unhooking, handling and weighing pike there is no need for the fish to even see a carp sack or pike tube (hook, land, weighed by steward, logged and then retured to water) however saying that one thing that really does concerne me about matches is that because there is money at stake the possibility of unscroupulous anglers will leave the run far to long and have a deep hooked pike, however we must all give pike match angler the benifit of the doubt until this practice can be proved then ban em from any matches in the future (this will happen in the P.A.C.E.S. Pike pairs match on the 23rd sept this year, bit of a plug I know).

I do hope Peter that you dont find my comments offensive, they are just observatons as I have a lot of respect for yourself and other Pike anglers that are prepaired to stand up and be counted on subjects they deeply believe in.

all the best

------------------

Andi

http://www.sussex-pac.co.uk

Guest Alan Pearce

Peter, it was only a few weeks ago when I offered you the help of the SACG to sort out the problems you describe on the Broads. You responded by saying that you had dealt with the problem by speaking to the offending anglers. Is there a problem or isn't there one, and do you need assistance?

Please make up your mind.

Alan.

P.S. I may or may not play a role on the future committe of the SAA, that is up to the members. One thing is certain I shall continue to be concerned about angling and conservation matters as well as represent the Perchfishers Group within the SAA.

Guest Peter Waller

To Andi, no, I didn't find your post in anyway offensive. I watched the two carpers, who unintentionally killed a pike, with interest. Basically to see if I could learn something from someone using a technique with which I was unfamiliar. I did offer to unhook the pike and did step in, eventually, when the photo-shoot went on too long, but, regretfully, to late. Please bare in mind that they were fishing form private property and me from a nearby boat. I certainly learn't a lesson from the whole episode. I now carry an unhooking kit in my car and do step in with greater alacrity now. In fairness, when I told the two anglers, a few days later when we met in a local tackle shop, that the fish they had caught had died they did show genuine regret. I certainly haven't seen them pike fishing again.

To Allen, I know you offered help, that was appreciated but, knowing how things are not controlled up here, I failed to see how it could help. I have shouted loudly at local level, shouting loudly from afar seemed even less likely to succeed.

Guest Ian Cresswell

To all Crappinidae ... if you missed the point of my first posting then please scroll up a few messages ...

Do we really need to revisit this stuff so often?

Homocrappuis Internetanglidae please take note.

Ian.

[This message has been edited by Ian Cresswell (edited 22 April 2001).]

Guest pikemaster39
Originally posted by Peter Waller:

I watched the two carpers, who unintentionally killed a pike, with interest. Basically to see if I could learn something from someone using a technique with which I was unfamiliar. I did offer to unhook the pike and did step in, eventually, when the photo-shoot went on too long, but, regretfully, to late. Please bare in mind that they were fishing form private property and me from a nearby boat. I certainly learn't a lesson from the whole episode. I now carry an unhooking kit in my car and do step in with greater alacrity now. In fairness, when I told the two anglers, a few days later when we met in a local tackle shop, that the fish they had caught had died they did show genuine regret. I certainly haven't seen them pike fishing again.

Ok Peter,

It Just goes to show that sometimes when one has all the facts the appearance of certain matters are totally different to how they appeared before, Peter I unreservedly appologise for my comments in my earlier post about apathy killing the pike. obviously if they were on private land and you being in a boat it would make helping them incredably difficult.

------------------

Andi

http://www.sussex-pac.co.uk

Guest Peter Waller
Originally posted by pikemaster39:

Ok Peter,

It Just goes to show that sometimes when one has all the facts the appearance of certain matters are totally different to how they appeared before, Peter I unreservedly appologise for my comments in my earlier post about apathy killing the pike. obviously if they were on private land and you being in a boat it would make helping them incredably difficult.

Dear Andi, Appology neither expected nor warrented. Apathy no, slow off the mark, fraid so, you were half right!

Lee, what roller-coaster & why?

Guest trent.barbeler

Peter,

In answer to your short question concerning the roller coaster comment.

It appeared that some were not happy about my questions you answered.

It seemed from that there was/is a posibility of this whole thing rising again.

For myself, I am quite happy with what you said.

Guest tony jolley

Hello Peter!

Do you not think that it would better serve your mission to protect the broads with the help and backing off the S,A,A and the people who get involved in it, rather then be banging on the doors without its full support , as the S,A,A will not know what you or anyone else wants, eg, wildlife protection, monitoring of eel and elver netting, You must also understand that you dont own the broards but you can and should protect them as best you can, Which I think should be from within the S,A,A maybe as a R,O to start off with , that way you will Know whats happening and can be sure of youre views being known and acted on,

I have never been to the broards but I would support action to preserve them.

So why not act with them?

You have nothing to loose.

I mean this post with respect to you.