Your first fishing trip

Guest davidP

Come on folks. Surely somebody else on the bbs started in the 40s (or at least in the 50s). The board can't possibly be all babies, can it? wink.gif

I can't remember my exact first fishing trip, but I do remember that era of my life.

I used to fish the saltwater river in Rowhedge, a little village outside Colchester, Essex.

Diawa spinning rod, 4lb line, size 8 hoo and an ounce bomb. Bait was garden worm and I used to catch flounders and eels all day, as well as crabs on the crabbing line.

I keep promising myself that I'll do it again soon, just for old time's sake...

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

Guest Peter Waller

Yep, nearly all babes! Intrepid Black Princes aye? Not so young!

I grew up in a fishing family. Tackle hung on the wall that belonged to my great grandfather and onwards. My fascination was for an ancient poachers rod rigged with a Norwich Spoon. My first ever fish was a pike, caught on bread! I suppose I remember it more because, right from the start, I had done something that no one else in the family had ever done. It was only a fingerling but I remember the intrieging shape of that fish, laying in my fathers hand to this day, that and his amazement that it was caught by a toddler and caught on bread. I then took the classic Crabtree route to being an obsessive piker and ardant lure angler. I was 9 when I was given that poachers rod and Norwich Spoon and 9 when I lured and intentionally caught my first pike. How old I was when that flake caught pike came along is open to guess-work, probably about 4 or 5. Of my 4 daughters only one has ever caught the bug, and that was the age that she started, with an obliging roach and that has been her passion ever since.

Guest matt_shaw

Well my first fishing trip, that i can remember was around 1995 when i was around 14 years old. My dad and one of his friends took me down the local canal (northampton arms). We used gear that my dad had bought very cheaply. I remember it being a bamboo rod that he had bought on the market. For bait we used worms dug up from the garden.

Well our session was very productive. We caught large canal perch upto 1.5lbs. Of course it was summertime and the weather was good. This got me hooked in a lifetime of fishing biggrin.gif

------------------

Happy fishing

-------------

Visit http://www.total-fishing.com

Guest Paul Williams

About 1959/60, the old man took me on the "Midland red fisherman special" from Wolverhampton to Ironbridge, he caught chub on cheese (and he swears cherries!!) i reeled deep hooked millars thumb through the rings!! the old man strapped me to him and sat me between his legs as he sat on his wicker basket, sausauge rolls and cold tea for scoff, he was a miner then!!

Me? About 1970. Me, me Grandad, my cousin and my Uncle Robbie on the Rother nr. Iden Lock, I had one gudgeon. Since then I've been self taught......maybe that's the problem :-(

Guest mpbdsnu

I remember listening to friend tales of the 'whoppers' they had caught and thought "that sounded fun"! I must have been around 10 or 11 years old which would have been around 1965-66, and after badgering my mum and dad about it for what must have been ages, they produced some second-hand tackle for me to use - where it came from I either don't know or can't remember, but it wasn't important. What was important was that I too was in a position to catch these "whoppers"! Did I? Did I heck as like!

We cycled down to the River Nene in Beckets Park in Northampton and then further on down through Midsummer Meadow most weekends - the whoppers all turned out to be tiny roach and the odd perch thrown - but one thing I do remember from those days - didn't we have some fun!!!

Guest Darth_codhead

The first time i went sea fishing was in 19756 it was at Scarborough on the fish pier and court lots of small Coalfish and i went fishing ever day over the summer hols (i lived about 7 yards from the tackle shop and about 30 yards from the pier) that was me hooked on sea

It took me years to get in to coarse fishing but when i did i used a 7' heavy spinning rod small fixed spool 4lb line and some 20s& 22s hooks i fished all morning with out a tuch then some one set up next to me and gave me some 1.5lb line and court some small Roach and rerch then he went home, just after that my 1.5lb line snaped (HELP) so i look on the ground and found some 34 lb line tied it on i got more Roach and then i said AND THEN i hooked in to my first Tench about 4lb ( not bad first big fighting fish on light line )

gane fishing was poaching (say no more)

Darth

Guest Big Nick

My dad took me fishing from about the age of 4 (the earliest my mum would let him). When I was about 6 (1971) he let me have a go on my own with only 2 sections of a 3 section rod, up until then I was only alowed to land them. It was at Bewdley on the Severn, I think, but I do remember I caught a Bleak and was thrilled and could not wait to tell my mum when I got home.

My dad's no longer alive and I have not fished Bewdley in years but I still get the same buzz as did with that Bleak.

------------------

Big Nick

Guest 'eelfisher'

Mine was around 1964/5. I went fishing with my Dad on a lake just outside Sprowston, Norwich. Rackheath Springs it was called.

I saw loads of Tench caught but I only managed big tangles and small perch.

Saw my firsy Bittern there as well. Nest and three eggs.....anyone else been there, the Biterns nest and the lake.

Fell off the punt once trying to watch some Carp...I now realise why fishing became a self taught hobby for me....My Dad tried everything to leave the house at 3.30am without me knowing....very rarely did he manage it.

Best memories of those long off days were the egg and bacon sarnies he used to make for us.

He also used to take me to Bealaugh Meadows on the Bure. Bream bashing til midnight, bread paste and legering.

I paid him back in the early 90's by taking him back Piking on Barton Broad....I made egg and bacon sarnies for him in the middle of the boat.....he was pleased to see the bankside again after that.

We slept on the bank at Wroxham and caught several doubles in the early morning before coming home.

He is 65 now and wants me to take him Tenching when the spring comes along....perhaps he's tired of living now...!!!!

What a nice thread to start re-living the past and the beginnings.