Help with Bait on the Itchen

curuxz

Hi guys,

I have been estuary fishing on the river Itchen in Southampton for the last couple of months as so far have not managed to catch any bass :(

A local tackle shop reckoned you could use bread to get smaller ones but that seems very ineffective (only had one bite on it, and it got off during the fight to land it)

I have also tried small crabs (from the river bed at low side) and small prawns/minnows again caught at low tide but with no success. I know rag is supposed to be the best but have not gotten around to trying this yet.

Was thinking of ordering some panic minnows (http://www.density-tackle.com) and trying those, has anyone else had any experience with them? Does anyone have any general tips for good time of day to go onto an estuary.

To add insult to lack of catch, when I was there yesterday a Bass jumped out the water about 20-30ft from me, he was around 40-50cm long so I know there are fish of an edible size in there!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I have been estuary fishing on the river Itchen in Southampton for the last couple of months as so far have not managed to catch any bass :(

A local tackle shop reckoned you could use bread to get smaller ones but that seems very ineffective (only had one bite on it, and it got off during the fight to land it)

I have also tried small crabs (from the river bed at low side) and small prawns/minnows again caught at low tide but with no success. I know rag is supposed to be the best but have not gotten around to trying this yet.

Was thinking of ordering some panic minnows (http://www.density-tackle.com) and trying those, has anyone else had any experience with them? Does anyone have any general tips for good time of day to go onto an estuary.

To add insult to lack of catch, when I was there yesterday a Bass jumped out the water about 20-30ft from me, he was around 40-50cm long so I know there are fish of an edible size in there!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi havent fished there for a while but I float fished with rag under the bridge at redbridge and caught a few edible ones.